Hockey, Ice Hockey, Sports

20 Questions with BU assistant captains Evan Rodrigues and Cason Hohmann

[rawr]

[/rawr]

BU assistant captains Cason Hohmann (left) and Evan Rodrigues are the only two seniors on the Terrier squad. (PHOTO BY MAYA DEVEREAUX/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF)

Responses have been edited for clarity and brevity.

1. What was your biggest focus during the offseason?
ER: Just like any offseason, it’s getting stronger, really pounding down on things. It’s the last kick at the can for us, and I [made] sure I got stronger, worked on puck skills and worked on my shot, everything to get better.

CH: For me, just my shooting ability. I worked on shooting a lot during the offseason. I worked on getting stronger. I also worked on becoming more of a leader. I sat down and thought about how I wanted to become more of a leader for the team this year. It’s my last go-around, so I want it to be the best possible.

2. What are your personal goals this season?
ER: Winning a national championship, that’s a team thing, but I think for me, that’s the biggest thing I want to get done. That’s why we came to BU. That’s why I decided to come here, and I think that’s the one thing that’s kind of in my mind this year.

CH: Yeah, winning a national championship for me as well. Also, it’s our last chance this year to win the Beanpot. We’re 0-for-3. This is our last chance to get it done. Also, Hockey East as well is a big goal of mine, so just all three of those are really important to me.

3. Funniest teammate?
CH: I would say the funniest would be Danny O’Regan. He’s kind of a crazy person off the ice, but we all love him. He’s awesome to hang out with.

ER: I’d have to go with [Connor] LaCouvee, a freshman goalie. He takes weird goalies to a whole new level. He’s one of a kind.

4. Most stylish teammate?
CH: I would go with Kevin Duane. Just his style is remarkable, and every time I see him, he just looks so good.

ER: I would go with Matt Grzelcyk. It’s subtle, but I think he’s got some good fashion sense.

5. Favorite NHL player?
CH: My favorite NHL player is Claude Giroux on the Flyers. Everything he does is what I want to do in my game. He’s a great passer, great leader all around, so I look up to someone like that.

ER: I’m gonna go with Pavel Datsyuk [from the Detroit Red Wings]. The things he does on the ice are like no one else, and he’s got hands like no one’s ever seen.

6. What sports do you follow besides hockey?
CH: I follow football a lot. Sometimes basketball during playoffs, but mostly football. I like the Dallas Cowboys. I’m from Texas, so that means a lot to me.

ER: I don’t really follow anything but hockey unless it’s a Toronto team. I’ll follow the Blue Jays, the Raptors when they’re in season.

7. Favorite Hockey East rink besides Agganis?
CH: I’d probably go [with] Maine. It’s really fun to go up there and play a game in Maine. The fans are crazy out there. They cheer all sorts of things at you that you really don’t want to hear, but it’s fun to go out there and play a game.

ER: I think BC just because the atmosphere there in a rivalry game is always a big one. Being able to silence that kind of crowd and come out with a win is something I like to do.

8. Typical pregame meal?
CH: Well, we all have the same pregame meal.

ER: Yeah, it’s kind of sad.

CH: Grilled chicken, rice, all the same thing. Hopefully it changes this year.

9. Most embarrassing song on your iPod?

CH: “A Thousand Miles” by Vanessa Carlton. But it’s not really embarrassing. It’s my favorite song, so I wouldn’t be embarrassed by anybody listening to it.

ER: I think I’m gonna go with “I’m So Excited” by the Pointer Sisters. It’s just a great song when you’re happy and you’re getting excited. It’s a good song.

10. Favorite class you’ve taken at BU?
CH: As weird as it sounds, my favorite class was Intro to Law.

ER: I’m going to go with, right now, I’m in an Advanced Business Law class…You learn a lot in the class. You really just enjoy being in the classroom.

11. Favorite Mighty Ducks character?
ER: Wu Wu Kenny Wu! Absolutely! No doubt about it.

CH: I would still go with Charlie Conway.

12. What do you miss most about home while you’re in Boston?
ER: My mom’s cooking. I’ve got to give a shout-out to her. I miss her cooking.

CH: I’m from Texas, so I like the Mexican food, all of the barbecue down there. And the weather down there is awesome too.

13. Do you have any superstitions?
ER: I don’t even want to go through mine. I have so many, to be honest. There’s so many, it’s not even worth it.

CH: One of my main ones is I don’t tape my stick if I get a point in the game before, so I just leave it all messy.

14. Favorite junk food?
ER: Salt and vinegar chips.

CH: Reese’s. Reese’s candy.

15. If you were granted three wishes, what would they be?
ER: One, win a national championship. Two, have a better roommate my senior year. And three, one day play in the NHL.

CH: National championship, play in the NHL and one day become friends, actual friends, with Mike Moran. Bill Moran, we call him Bill. Our friendship is on the rocks all the time.

16. Dream vacation spot?
CH: I’d say probably Cancún. A lot of good things in Cancún.

ER: I’ve only ever been on vacation once because of hockey, and that’s to Saint Thomas…It was incredible. So I’d say Saint Thomas. It’s an amazing place. Caribbean waters.

17. Favorite book?
ER: I can’t even remember the last book I read. Oh! Captain Underpants. I used to love that when I was younger.

CH: I’d probably say the last Harry Potter book.

ER: Oh! You know those I Spy books? You used to have to find stuff.

CH: I actually read the last Harry Potter book.

ER: Captain Underpants. Sticking with that.

18. Biggest fear?
CH: I hate sharks. I hate swimming in the water, ocean.

ER: Getting eaten by a snake. An anaconda or something. I hate snakes.

19. Most influential person in your life?

ER: My older brother Paul. I’ve always followed in his footsteps hockey-wise.

CH: I would probably say my father just because he’s been there all this time for me, sacrificed a lot for me to be here. That’s really important to me.

20. Best advice you’ve ever gotten related to hockey?
CH: Just be a team guy, put your ego aside, do whatever it takes for the team to win. We all used to be superstars coming in here, and for us to be a good team, we have to put ego aside and be a team player.

ER: I think just always knowing there’s room for improvement. For example, coming off our sophomore year, we had a really good end to the year, so just making sure that you don’t settle in the offseason, and just make sure to get better day in, day out.

Sarah covers men's hockey and other sports for The Daily Free Press, and is the chairman of Back Bay Publishing Co., Inc. She served as Editor-in-Chief of the FreeP during the Spring 2014 semester and was Sports Editor in Fall 2013. She has also written for the Boston Globe and seattlepi.com. When she's not writing, she loves baking and going to concerts. You can contact her by tweeting her at @Kirkpatrick_SJ or emailing her at sjkirkpa@bu.edu.