BUPD alerts students of possible scammer on campus

Boston University Police Department said Tuesday that a "nicely dressed" man has been scamming students on campus. PHOTO COURTESY OF DAVID GOEHRING VIA CREATIVE COMMONS
Boston University Police Department said Tuesday that a “nicely dressed” man has been scamming students on campus. PHOTO COURTESY OF DAVID GOEHRING VIA CREATIVE COMMONS

The Boston University Police Department suggested students stay on the look out for a possible scammer on campus, according to a Tuesday alert posted on BUPD’s Facebook page.

A student who gave $100 to “a nicely dressed man” Monday was likely a victim of a scam, according to the alert. The man approached the student asking for money to pay for a cab because he said his car had a flat tire.

“While it is not the desire of the BUPD to interfere with acts of kindness and compassion, there are certain patterns of behavior that should put you on notice of the possibility that your good nature is being exploited,” the alert stated.

Over the years, BU students have fallen victim to a variety of scam artists, including those pretending to be in distress and in need of large amounts of cash. Often, the suspect is well-dressed, polite and appeals to students’ good nature by requesting money due to an urgent emergency, the alert stated.

BUPD advises students to report any further incidents immediately.