Arts & Entertainment, Features, The Muse

INTERACTIVE MAP: Boston’s best eateries

Break out that GPS and grab some foodie friends, we put together some of the best places around Boston to grab a beer, a cup of coffee, the best late-night pizza and more.

Best late-night pizza:
1. T Anthony’s Pizzeria — Known for satiating student “drunchies” (or “drunk munchies”) across campus, T’s pizza also happens to taste pretty great while sober, too.
2. Regina Pizzeria — Although Regina’s has locations scattered about the city, there’s nothing like the original located in the North End. Their plain slices stand on their own, but if you’re feeling fancy, try the “Capricciosa,” topped with sliced prosciutto, mushrooms and ricotta, parmesan and mozzarella cheeses.
3. OTTO Pizza — With unusual pie combinations like mashed potato, bacon and scallion as well as pulled pork and mango, OTTO is the perfect thing to break up the tedium of your late-night pizza routine.
4. First Bite Cafe — Not only does First Bite do pizza late, they also do what certain New Jersey residents might recognize as a “fat sandwich” — chicken fingers, mozzarella sticks, french fries, marinara sauce and melted cheese on a roll.
5. Pizza Days — Served up quick and dirty, as good late-night pizza should be. And if pizza’s not your thing, they have a pretty good calzone, too.

Best of brunch:
1. The Friendly Toast — Come for the pumpkin pancakes and the “Hansel & Gretel” gingerbread waffle, stay for the decor, which includes a giant mustachioed cheeseburger statue and a gallery of old-fashioned signage on the neon green walls.
2. Trident Booksellers & Cafe — Trident doesn’t stray far from the breakfast classics, which are always executed to perfection, but when it does (see: apple brie omelette, lemon-ricotta-stuffed french toast), it’s a revelation.
3. The Breakfast Club — With an impressive array of Eggs Benedict and omelette variations, The Breakfast Club will remind you of a more upscale version of your favorite greasy spoon from home.
4. Neighborhoods Cafe — Neighborhoods’ selection of both sweet and savory crepes provide something for everyone: egg crepes for the early risers and crepes like “The Garden” (Roasted veggies, herbs and mozzarella topped with house-made pesto) for the brunch bunch.
5. Eastern Standard — If you’re willing to shell out a couple more bucks than the average brunch, Eastern Standard will make it worth your while with simple but delicious dishes like cinnamon French toast with caramelized bananas.

Best Mexican eateries:
1. El Pelon Taqueria — Self-labeled “authentic Mexican” food, El Pelon is no Chipotle. Aside from their massively stuffed burritos that will take a minimum of two days to eat, be sure to try the fried plantains with fire roasted salsa — sweet and spicy heaven.
2. Felipe’s Taqueria — What Felipe’s may lack in atmosphere it more than makes up for in its menu, boasting a variety of burrito fillings and a deliciously refreshing key lime lemonade.
3. Anna’s Taqueria — Anna’s might be a chain, but its vast selection of toppings and fresh ingredients set it apart from the Qdobas and Baja Freshs of the world.
4. Lone Star Taco Bar — With ingredients like pickled radish, chili mango aioli and house made chorizo, Lone Star is not your usual Mexican joint — and that’s a good thing.
5. The Purple Cactus — Serving “California-inspired” Mexican fare, which is the second-best place to find good Mexican food, The Purple Cactus is a bit of a hike but the eclectic menu makes it well worth the trip.

Best apple cider:
1. Blue State Coffee — Pumpkin apple spice cider. That’s a lot of words for a drink. It’s a good thing they all evoke good vibes. This cider tastes just like its sounds: Fall. Straight with no foam, this cup is fitting for those with a sweet tooth.
2. Wired Puppy — I’m pretty sure “Chai-der”  is on a waiting list to get into the Oxford English Dictionary, so a cup of it had to make the list. The chai-der at wired puppy is prime. A higher ratio of cider to chai tea keeps the combo flavorful while highlighting warm notes. It’s chai-der done right.
3. Jugos — Enjoy kale and morning breathing exercises? Perhaps a cider-infused smoothie from Jugos is more your stride. The “Stella,” a blend of apple cider, banana, raspberry, blueberry, and strawberry, is a refreshing way of mixing up one’s beverage schedule.
4. L.A. Burdick Chocolate — It might be known for its chocolate confections, but L.A. Burdick Chocolate also boasts a spiced apple cider that mixes the perfect amount of tart Granny Smith flavor with tangy nutmeg and cinnamon.
5. Flour Bakery + Cafe — Grab your knickerbockers and bonnets because this cider is made the old fashioned way! Whole cinnamon sticks infuse further into the cider’s flavor with hints of orange, making for a spiced flavor and elite experience similar to knowing a little too much about your tea. Don’t worry. Old-fashioned never goes out of style, especially not with hot beverages.

Best places for local beer on tap:
1. Trillium Brewing — You wouldn’t expect a hole in the wall to house an entire brewing operation, but here we are, in the Seaport District no less. Go for the growler fill if you’re sharing with friends, otherwise go for some bottles or free taste pours. Try the Congress Street IPA or the Trillium pilsner. Prices range from $8 on the lower end for bottles to $20 for 64 oz. growlers.
2. HOPS N SCOTCH — This cozy little two-floor bar in Coolidge Corner is home to a couple good local drafts including Wormwood Brewery from Worcester, Sam Adams from Boston and Pretty Things Beer & Ale from Somerville. Apart from the beer, the bar wouldn’t live up to its name without a good selection of whiskey. Prices range from $6 to $10 for drafts.
3. Deep Ellum — Looking for a place that’s a little closer to home? Deep Ellum in Allston has a daily rotating drafts list. Some local picks include Cambridge Brewing Co., Pretty Things from Westport and Idle Hands from Everett. Pair with a plate of Parmesan truffle fries and you’re in comfort food heaven. Prices range from $6 to $8 for drafts.
4. Lord Hobo — Located a couple blocks off of Kendall, Lord Hobo’s big on American fare and diverse, curated beer lists. The bar sources from neighboring John Harvard’s in Cambridge, Enlightenment Ales from Everett, Notch Brewing from Ipswich. Once in a couple blue moons, you can catch the legendary Heady Topper. Prices range from $6 to $12.
5. Publick House — Ah, Publick House. So well regarded, so far off campus. Publick House is the place to be if you’re looking for some monk brew. The local picks: Downeast from Charlestown, Berkshire Brewing from South Deerfield and Trillium from Boston. There is also an extensive supply of imported Belgian ales. Prices range from $6 to $10.

Best cup of coffee:
1. Pavement Coffeehouse — Maybe it’s the grandpa aesthetic, the crushable baristas or the huge cups on the relatively cheap. Or, maybe it’s the fact that its central Commonwealth location is a five-minute walk from anywhere on campus.
2. Refuge Café — The name suits it more than you might appreciate. Dribble some bagel crumbs and Equal Exchange dark roast down your flannel and eye the rabble as you nestle away inside the wood panels and wrap around windows.
3. Toscanini’s — This Central Square staple has some of the best ice cream inside the MBTA, but you’re missing out if you don’t see what they let you wash it down with.
4. Thinking Cup — You’ll be lucky to get a table in this dim Tremont Street hideout, but try to loiter if they’ll let you. Bring company, or browse the newspapers sealed into the tables. Did you hear we made it to the moon?
5. Render Coffee — This underestimated nook on Columbus Avenue is a little out of the way, but sometimes that’s what you need. You’ll shell out a little extra for the pour-over coffee, but you’re paying for time off the radar.