Ernie Boch Jr. visits The Daily Free Press, presents check

Faced with the task of paying off its $70,000 debt by Dec. 31, The Daily Free Press set up a GoFundMe campaign Nov. 10 to continue its print operations in the spring semester. Thanks to a $50,000 donation from Ernie Boch Jr., president and CEO of Subaru of New England, the FreeP was able to raise this money in a span of two days. Boch visited the FreeP office Tuesday night to present the check to Editor-in-Chief Kyle Plantz. He toured the office and spoke to the staff about the value of print journalism.

Ernie Boch Jr. visits The Daily Free Press office Tuesday to meet the staff and deliver a check for $50,000, which he donated after the newspaper announced it was in debt in November. PHOTO BY SARAH SILBIGER/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF
Boch presents Plantz with a check for $50,000, which he donated after the Daily Free Press announced that it was in debt. PHOTO BY SARAH SILBIGER/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF
Plantz opens a check for $50,000 from Boch. PHOTO BY SARAH SILBIGER/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF
Members of The Daily Free Press Board of Directors, (from left) Sarah Fisher, Tyler Lay, Kyle Plantz and Emily Overholt, pose with Boch (center). PHOTO BY SARAH SILBIGER/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Vice Chairman and archives keeper for The Daily Free Press Board of Directors. Former news editor. I like data, politics, and higher education, but will write about anything.