No. 4 women’s hockey capitalizing in 1st-period play

Senior defenseman Shannon Doyle has helped the Terriers generate the third-ranked penalty kill in Hockey East. PHOTO BY DANIEL GUAN/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

With its 3-1 home victory over Providence College Monday, the No. 4 Boston University women’s ice hockey team earned its fourth straight win and made it four consecutive games with a goal scored in the first period.

“It’s the focus of any team to come out of the gate strong and get that first goal,” said BU coach Brian Durocher. “In hockey these days, with the goalies being so good and the games being on the more low-scoring side, if you get the first one, it keeps you in the game for a long time, even if you have a bad shift or a bad period.”

The Terriers (12-3-2, 8-2 Hockey East) have been the early aggressors all season long, outshooting opponents 175-117 in the first frame. Their initial attack has proven successful, as they have scored 17 first-period goals to their opponents’ seven.

BU’s success at the beginning of games has translated to its overall success. The Terriers have a 7-1-1 record when leading after the first period and an 11-1-1 mark when scoring the first goal.

“Maybe it’s the emphasis, maybe it’s circumstantial or we just come out with the energy, but whatever it is, it’s a good problem to have because getting that first goal means a lot,” Durocher said. “If you give up two, you can still come back and tie it in reasonable fashion. We try to focus on starting quick, and the team’s done a good job so far.”

Defense steps up on penalty kill

In Monday’s win over the Friars (3-14-3, 2-6-1 Hockey East), BU overcame a season-high eight penalties to allow just one opposing tally, an even-strength breakaway. Combined with its previous game against the University of Vermont Saturday, that makes 14 straight power plays that the Terrier defense has killed off.

Led by senior defensemen Shannon Doyle and Shannon Stoneburgh, the Terriers have a .872 kill percentage in the conference, good enough for third in the Hockey East. As a team, they have 186 blocked shots, making BU one of the stingiest teams in the conference for opposing power plays.

“It [the penalty kill has] been a strength of ours the last couple of years, and part of our strength is we like to put the puck on our heels by being a little offensive,” Durocher said. “It’s given us the chance to put some teams back on their heels, and all of it has meshed together to improve things a bit.”

Terrier forwards have also helped out on the kill through succeeding at the dots, winning .542 percent of their faceoffs this season. With senior captain Marie-Philip Poulin leading the charge at a .618 clip, BU has had a clear advantage in winning pucks in its own zone.

Despite some bad bounces at the beginning of the year, Durocher said his team has practiced the penalty kill well and produced positive results in recent weeks.

“We’ve been talking a little bit about some technical stuff,” he said. “We’d been following the puck a little bit too much. We were not staying true to our responsibilities so that you’re always in the lanes you’re always defending from the top or side, and of course, you need people back to the net. And we were probably straying from that early in the year.

“I’m sure a little bit of bad luck goes into a slump or a negative streak. But whatever it was, we had to correct it, and the kids have done a good job here in the last few games.”

Third line slows down

Though the Terriers’ third line began the season pacing the offense, the line composed of junior winger Rebecca Russo, sophomore center Maddie Elia and freshman winger Rebecca Leslie has cooled off in recent games.

The bunch started off the season on a tear, notching a combined 10 points during the team’s opening weekend in Minnesota against St. Cloud State University on Oct. 3 and the University of Minnesota on Oct. 4. However, in their last five games, the trio has collectively posted just five total points.

Much of these struggles can be traced back to a lack of ice time. With the return of Poulin from injury and the reemergence of junior first-liner Sarah Lefort as the team’s primary scorer following a six-point week, the third line has seen its time on the ice reduced. BU’s recent influx of penalties has also forced Durocher to rely on his top two lines more than normal, leaving Russo, Elia and Leslie as the odd skaters out.

Despite their recent struggles, Durocher said he is sure the line’s talent will overcome the cold streak and get them back on the scoreboard.

“I just think they could do some things a little bit better. That’s the charge, whether they’re going to the net, whether it’s stick handling less, getting more shots on net or picking up rebounds,” he said. “We have to do those things a little bit better.

“Sometimes, when you get frustrated or in a little bit of a slump, you try too hard. But if they get pucks to the net and bodies to the net, they’ll get results again because there’s plenty of individual talent in the group.”

Justin is a former Sports Editor for the Daily Free Press. In the past, he has covered the BU field hockey, men's basketball, women's hockey and women's lacrosse teams. Justin has interned at WEEI.com and serves as Editor-In-Chief of the Cleveland sports blog, Straight Down Euclid. Follow him on Twitter: @just_a_pal