No. 6/7 women’s hockey gets back on track with dominating win over Vermont

WIH33_ErinBillings
Sophomore goaltender Victoria Hanson stopped all 15 UVM shots she saw and earned Hockey East Defensive Player of the Week on Monday for her efforts in her past two starts. PHOTO BY ERIN BILLINGS/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Since compiling four wins in a row over the University of New Hampshire, Dartmouth College, University of Vermont and Providence College just before winter break, the No. 6/7 Boston University women’s hockey team has hit an up-and-down stretch over its past seven games.

Wins over Northeastern University on Jan. 18 and No. 4/5 Quinnipiac University on Wednesday were followed by a 2-0 loss at home to Vermont (11-15-1, 2-12 Hockey East) on Saturday afternoon. The Terriers (16-6-2, 11-4 Hockey East) outshot the Catamounts 39-21 in that contest, but were unable to solve Vermont goaltender Madison Litchfield.

“I was pretty pleased with the way we played on Saturday, but sometimes the hockey gods don’t line up for you,” said BU coach Brian Durocher. “We were doing everything that a coach can ask of a team, and nothing went in.”

BU came back strong on Sunday afternoon, though, dominating Vermont in a 9-2 victory.

“It was a very good response,” Durocher said. “I see it as a pretty good four-game run with the hockey gods getting in the way of a real nice streak.”

Poulin Leading the Charge

At this time a year ago, Marie-Philip Poulin was preparing for the experience of a lifetime, a chance to help Team Canada claim its fourth gold medal in as many Olympics. She did more than help. Poulin scored the game-tying and game-winning goals in a 3-2 gold medal game win over the United States on Feb. 20, 2014, for two of her five points during the tournament. Now the senior captain has returned from Sochi, Russia looking to bring similar glory to the Terriers.

“Anytime you play at the highest level, you’re challenged a little bit more, you play at a slightly faster pace, and anytime she had to play against a U.S. team, those two teams are really dynamite hockey clubs that really play at an exciting pace,” Durocher said. “She’s got all that experience, but more than anything else, she’s another year older.”

Poulin currently leads the team in goals with 17 on the season, and she trails only fellow Canadian Sarah Lefort in points. Poulin had a strong week for the Terriers this past week, scoring two goals and adding three assists, including a highlight-reel tally with a toe-drag around a defender in the center circle and a beautiful backhand finish on Sunday. Poulin may put up impressive statistics game-in and game-out, but Durocher said her biggest asset may be her leadership qualities.

“When she speaks, people listen to her, and they know she’s not one of those people that are constantly chattering,” Durocher said. “When she has something to say, it’s of importance, and she backs that up with how hard she works. If you have the work ethic that she has and the conviction everyday and experience, it’s a great thing to have because it’s the type of leadership you want.”

Becker Makes First Collegiate Appearance

Sophomore goaltender Victoria Hanson started against Vermont on Sunday, stopping all 15 shots she faced during the first two periods before making way for fellow sophomore goalie Mia Becker. Becker made nine saves in her first career collegiate appearance, including a penalty shot from Catamounts leading scorer Brittany Zuback.

“Mia is one of those people who is a qualified goaltender, she played in a great program at Shattuck before she came here, and while she might be a little bit behind our one and our 1A, she’s a quality goalie, and when we can get her into the mix, it’s good for team chemistry,” Durocher said. “She’s a talented kid and a great teammate and a great asset to our program. She’s an endearing student and being challenged in school everyday as well as on the ice, so we’re all happy for her to say the least.”

Terriers Preparing for Tournament Season

All Hockey East games have the same weight in terms of conference standings, but the upcoming stretch of games may be the most important of the season for the Terriers. Currently eight points behind Boston College in the Hockey East standings, BU will have to stay hot to remain in contention in advance of a crucial home-and-home series with the Eagles starting Feb. 19.

“It’s ultra important,” Durocher said of the upcoming stretch. “You’ve got Beanpot, you’ve got Hockey East and potentially the NCAA tournament. While the stretch might be only six weeks long, a lot of the hardware you play for comes up in the next few weeks. Those three tournaments to potentially play in are all the big marks that are on our preseason wish list and on our goals that we set.”

The Terriers will next play two road games with the University of Connecticut and New Hampshire (7-17-1, 4-9 Hockey East), with the first-round Beanpot matchup with Harvard University sandwiched in between.

“We’ve got to look at getting ready for UConn and try to get that game and then let it fly a little bit in the Beanpot, which hasn’t been the best tournament for us,” Durocher said. “But we’ll see if we can just keep taking them one at a time and add some big wins along the way.”

Jarett is a freshman in COM and majoring in journalism. He covers BU Women's Hockey and Softball for the Daily Free Press. He also plays golf and broadcasts sports on WTBU radio at BU. Twitter: @jarettleonard02