Going For Two: One for the Thumb?

As the New England Patriots begin their offseason celebrating the organization’s fourth Super Bowl win, many in the Northeast wonder if they can bring another Vince Lombardi trophy back to Foxborough for the fifth time in the Tom Brady-Bill Belichick era.

The Patriots face numerous tasks this offseason, starting with the need to extend star cornerback Darrelle Revis to a multi-year deal. While Revis has just finished up the first of his two-year deal, many around the Patriots organization expect the team to try and extend Revis beyond 2015 to both lock up the star defensive back for multiple years and to avoid taking Revis’ current $20-million cap hit on March 10.

Other questions surrounding the Super Bowl champions include the league’s investigation of under-inflated footballs used in the AFC Championship Game and the expected longevity of their premier quarterback, Brady. While almost all of those who wish to see the demise of the Patriots’ dynasty have already condemned the Patriots as cheaters, the rest of the world awaits the results of the NFL’s investigation.

Fans and employees of the NFL alike have to rely on the same league officials, who could not efficiently acquire videotape from an elevator in the security hub that is Atlantic City, New Jersey to find substantive evidence in their investigation on “Deflate-gate.” The league will most likely return with no concrete information and will once again lead commenters on the Internet into a frenzy over Roger Goodell’s “bias” toward Robert Kraft and his seemingly always-successful franchise.

Competing to knock Brady and the Patriots from their pedestal of victory comes Peyton Manning and his Denver Broncos, fresh off the quarterback’s ninth first-round elimination in his 17th NFL season. While being stockpiled with one of the best wide receiver corps in the NFL, the Broncos find themselves at a financial crossroads with the impending free agencies of Demaryius Thomas, Julius Thomas and Wes Welker.

Thomas, a fifth-year wide receiver out of the Georgia Institute of Technology, is considered to be the cream of the wide receiver crop this offseason, as the wide out’s receptions and receiving yards have nearly tripled since Manning’s arrival in 2012. Expecting to pull in roughly $12 million dollars when he finally inks a deal this offseason, Thomas can make or break the Broncos offensive production in 2015 as Manning has already begun to show significant decline in his arm strength and athleticism during the latter half of the 2014-15 season.

After numerous years on the receiving end of brutal hits, Welker is currently considering retirement. While reports say Welker is leaning toward returning to the NFL, concussion issues have hindered the slot receiver’s time in Denver as his production has seen a stark drop since his arrival in the Mile-High City. His departure, along with the possible parting of one or both Thomases, would place immense pressure on the shoulders of receiver Emmanuel Sanders as well as third-year running back Montee Ball. With these potential farewells and the rapidly aging Manning, the Denver Broncos must do a lot of soul-searching and retooling if they are to stay both relevant and competitive in the high-powered AFC.

Coming off a heartbreaking Super Bowl loss, the Seattle Seahawks aim to return to the big dance next year in Santa Clara, California. However, numerous issues plague the Seahawks this offseason. Cornerback Richard Sherman, who has decided to forgo Tommy John surgery on his injured right elbow, and All-Pro safety Earl Thomas are both nursing significant injuries sustained in this year’s playoffs. Thomas played the Super Bowl with a dislocated shoulder. The vaunted Legion of Boom took another hit in Super Bowl XLIX as nickelback Jeremy Lane suffered a gruesome broken arm just after his first quarter interception of Brady.

In addition to these injuries comes speculation as to the retirement of Marshawn Lynch. The former University of California running back has been the center of media coverage as reports have surfaced stating Lynch is seriously considering walking away from professional football. After four years with the Buffalo Bills, Lynch traded Buffalo for Seattle and has enjoyed a successful five-year stint in the Pacific Northwest. This past season, Lynch ran for just over 1,300 yards and a league-leading 13 touchdowns. While the rumors circulate, the fact is, the loss of Lynch could very well be the end of the Seahawks’ offense as the most prolific receiver on the field for Seattle is Doug Baldwin Jr., who scored just three touchdowns during the regular season.

Russell Wilson, in just his third NFL season, has already led the Seahawks to two Super Bowl appearances. The young University of Wisconsin grad enters the fourth and final year of his rookie contract, making him eligible for a well-deserved lucrative extension. Signing a new deal with Wilson is one of the Seahawks’ top priorities. However, if the franchise elects to give Wilson the money he has proven he deserves, the team may find themselves in a financially tight situation. With a lack of funds available after Wilson’s new deal, it is a stark possibility that Seattle might not be able to replace Lynch, if he does retire, or even add receivers to a mediocre wide-out core.

While the Patriots have their eyes set on a possible fifth Lombardi Trophy, other teams such as the Green Bay Packers, who came an onside kick away from a Super Bowl appearance this season, aim to knock the champions off in 2015. Up and coming squads such as the Indianapolis Colts and the Kansas City Chiefs also pose a threat in the AFC, as do the always-dangerous Baltimore Ravens. The NFC also features rising teams like the Dallas Cowboys and the Detroit Lions, who both hope to bring another championship to their respective cities. But if the Patriots extend Revis and find a way to avoid injury to the team’s core, Brady and Belichick could very well deliver an unprecedented fifth title to One Patriot Place.