Sports, Swimming & Diving

Seven swimming and diving members qualify for NCAA Championships

PHOTO BY XANDER/CREATIVE COMMONS
The Boston University swimming & diving teams will be represented at the upcoming NCAA Championships by seven athletes, six from the men’s side and one from the women’s. PHOTO BY XANDER/CREATIVE COMMONS

Due to their strong performances at the Patriot League Championships, seven members of the Boston University men’s swimming and diving program have qualified for the upcoming NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships.

On the men’s side, freshmen Quinn Smith and Garrett Chin, sophomore Daniel Andronov, junior Mun Hon Lee and seniors Andres Vazquez and Connor Stuewe all posted qualifying marks, while junior Stephanie Nasson will represent the women’s team at the meet, which will be held from March 26 to March 28.

All of the Terriers who earned NCAA qualifying marks, along with freshman Lizzie Tillo, also earned First-Team All-Patriot League honors.

Stuewe is coming off a terrific performance at February’s Patriot League Championships, where he was named Men’s Swimmer of the Meet for his performance in the 200-yard and 100-yard backstrokes. Stuewe set school, league and meet records in both races.

Teammate Garrett Chin also set a school record of his own in the 400-yard individual medley on the third day of championships, while taking fourth in the field during the 200-yard backstroke.

Vazquez continued his strong season by placing third in the 100-yard freestyle.

One BU best performers during the season and during the championships was Mun Hon Lee, who gathered three medals during the championship in the 200-yard butterfly, 100-yard butterfly and the 200-yard individual medley.

In the preliminary round of the 200-yard individual medley, the trio of Lee, Smith and Chin each broke the school record. Smith’s silver-medal performance of 1:48.18 in the finals set the program’s new record.

The biggest achievement Andronov had in the championships was his seventh place finish in the 200-yard breaststroke.

In the 200-yard individual medley, Smith posted the NCAA’s 151st best qualifying time. Lee’s performance ranks 153rd and Chin grabbed the last available spot with a time of 1:49:09. Chin’s 400 individual medley time of 3:52.29 is the 98th best qualifying time.

Vazquez ranks 156th out of 169 qualifiers in the 200-yard freestyle, while Andronov is 138th in the 100-yard breaststroke.

Stuewe, who has set several records during his time at BU, excels in the backstroke events as shown in the Patriot League Championships. He possesses the 51st best qualifying time in the 100-yard backstroke and ranks 50th in the 200-yard backstroke.

For Nasson, she excelled at the Patriot League Championship’s, winning her second straight championship in the 1650-yard freestyle, defending her title from the 2014 Patriot League Championships.

In 2014, Nasson became the first woman swimmer for the Terriers to qualify for the NCAA Championships since 1988.

This season, Nasson just qualified for the NCAA Championship meet in the 1650-yard freestyle, ranking 66th out of 68 competitors with a time of 16:29:60.