REYNOLDS: A Nation Against Discrimination Legislation

On Thursday, Indiana Gov. Mike Pence signed the Religious Freedom Restoration Act into law, which would allow businesses to turn someone away on the basis of a religious belief. Over the next few days, a backlash like never before erupted.

Back in 1993, former president Bill Clinton signed a federal RFRA into law, and since then, the Washington Post reports that there are 19 other states with RFRA legislation, including Connecticut and Rhode Island.

A lot of people hold issue with that fact that this Indiana legislation would allow discrimination against LGBT people, although it could affect many other groups such as Jewish people and women concerned about reproductive health as well. Whether this law actually allows people to use religion as a way to discriminate in businesses, I’m not sure, because I’m not trained in law or government.

I do know, however, that the response around the country has been overwhelmingly positive for LGBT Americans.

Salesforce, a $4 billion software corporation, has canceled all programs that require travel to Indiana. Seattle Mayor Ed Murray and San Francisco Mayor Edwin Lee banned all city-funded travel to Indiana.

The National Collegiate Athletic Association will examine how this bill will affect future sporting events held in Indiana. The National Basketball Association and the Women’s National Basketball Association, in conjunction with the Indiana Pacers, have released a statement that expresses their commitment to non-discrimination for all fans, players and employees.

Two major convention groups, Gen Con and the Leaders of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) have both threatened to move their conventions, which bring lots of money to local businesses, out of state.

Angie’s List has canceled a headquarters expansion plan in Indiana, which would have created new jobs in an area that needed them. The CEO of Yelp, Jeremy Stoppelman, has delivered a statement that warned of a decrease in business presence in any state that encourages discrimination.

Many celebrities, politicians, CEOs and individuals have also expressed their disappointment and outrage at the RFRA legislation on social media.

Local businesses in Indiana have started to place signs and stickers that let customers know they don’t discriminate and are ready to serve everyone.

The support shown by these individuals and organizations is incredibly important. This is one of the first times that America has come out and said we won’t stand for discrimination of LGBT people.

It is not only a blessing, but it’s a warning. It’s a warning that the times are changing. That any other state, government or organizations that try to blatantly discriminate against LGBT people will face backlash. It’s truly amazing how quickly the general opinions about the LGBT community have shifted.

I know not to get too excited. Women and people of color officially won their rights decades ago, yet blatant discrimination and oppression is still experienced by those groups. Pence is still standing by the RFRA bill, despite the criticism it has received.

I’m not sure if people will continue to be outraged by any other state that proposes discrimination legislation. I don’t know if people will begin to boycott the other 19 states with RFRA legislation in place or if people will fight against the federal government’s RFRA bill. I don’t know why people chose Indiana to express outrage.

Either way, this response comes at a crucial time. In late April, the U.S. Supreme Court will be hearing the oral arguments for four same-sex marriage cases and is expected to release a decision that will affect the whole nation sometime in June.

Indiana has done something special for the LGBT community, even if it passed hateful legislation. It has united LGBT people with allies. People everywhere are coming forward to say that discrimination is not right and that they stand together with the LGBT community.

I hope this gives people strength to continue to be who they are. It take courage to continue to stay true to themselves or to start living the life that is truest to themselves if they are not already. Although governments are still legislating discrimination, the overwhelming positive support toward the LGBT community can only be a good thing for moving toward a more accepting society.

Young LGBT students are growing up in a world where they have personal role models that are out and proud. They see positive representations of themselves in the media, even if it’s only a little. Social media has been a blessing to connect LGBT youth who may feel isolated and alone.

Unity is a beautiful thing. There will always be people who hate. There will always be people who refuse to understand and accept. But if people are united in love, the people who spew hatred have a lot less power.

If you don’t want hate to be legislated and if you care about the people and communities around you, you can start by becoming an informed voter. Vote for people who believe in love and unity, and together, we can make change and acceptance happen for everyone.