BU to end partnership with Huntington Theatre Company

PHOTO COURTESY WIKIMEDIA COMMONS
The Boston University Theater at 264 Huntington Ave. PHOTO COURTESY WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

Boston University and the Huntington Theatre Company announced Wednesday the end of their 33-year partnership, moving to put the theater on the open market and relocate the university’s production, design and black box facilities to the Charles River Campus.

“BU and the Huntington both have needs that the partnership can no longer meet,” the joint press release stated. “The Huntington needs a more modern theatre in which to present its large-scale productions as well as function space for its patrons. BU needs to better serve its theatre arts students.”

The 890-seat BU Theatre at 264 Huntington Ave. and its two adjoining buildings will be put up for sale, the release stated. In the meantime, the College of Fine Arts and Huntington will continue to use and function the theater.

“[CFA and Huntington] will continue to run their productions at least until June 30, 2017,” BU spokesperson Colin Riley said.

As Huntington begins to search for a new theater to facilitate its programs after 2017, BU looks toward a new black box theater, Riley said.

“The new [black box] theater building is still in planning,” he said.

According to the statement, BU and Huntington “will continue to work closely and collaboratively to ensure a smooth transition in the upcoming years.”

Mike is a former Editor-in-Chief of The Daily Free Press. Now, he dutifully fulfills his role as FreeP has-been. He also tells stories at an advertising agency in Philadelphia.