Women’s soccer crowned Patriot League champs after Army win

PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/DFP FILE PHOTO
Freshman forward McKenna Doyle netted her team-leading sixth goal of the season against Army. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/DFP FILE PHOTO

The Boston University women’s soccer team’s transformation from its early-season losses and goalless drought has finally come full circle after the team’s 2-0 win over the United States Military Academy in West Point, New York, on Saturday afternoon.

The win crowned the Terriers (9-5-3, 7-0-1 Patriot League) conference regular season champions for the 13th time since 2000 and first time since 2012.

Since its move to the Patriot League in the 2013-14 season, BU has shared the Patriot League title, but this is the first year in its short history in the league that it won the league outright.

Despite the Terriers and Black Knights (4-11-2, 2-4-2 Patriot League) each taking 14 shots, BU had more shot attempts on net (8-4), which made the difference on a cool and windy day in West Point.

“It took us some time to figure the game out,” said BU coach Nancy Feldman. “However, throughout the whole game, we battled, we did it collectively and we worked. We stayed the course as far as not being mentally strong which is really important in not having any loss in focus.

“We just persisted,” Feldman continued, “and there were some parts in the game where we were dominant, and there were other parts where we weren’t able to control the match but we defended hard and had a strong will.”

Both teams struggled to gain momentum offensively through the first 30 minutes, as they combined for a total of one shot, a BU attempt by senior midfielder Clare Pleuler that was saved by Army goalkeeper Jordan Cassalia.

In the 36th minute, the Terriers finally broke through off a stellar one-two play from freshmen strikers Julianna Chen and McKenna Doyle.

Chen’s through-ball to Doyle went between two Black Knight defenders, and Doyle’s shot forced a diving save from Cassalia that she could not fully control. It trickled into the back of the net for a 1-0 lead on Doyle’s sixth goal of the season.

Going into the game, Army had worrisome goal-scoring statistics. Despite taking more shots than their opponents by a comfortable margin, the Black Knights lacked the scoring touch, as evidenced by their 15 goals-scored and 26 goal-allowed to their competition. The team historically also tended to lose games in the second half, as it had been outscored 16-6 in the latter frame.

The Black Knights’ second-half struggles continued against the Terriers, as their one-goal deficit turned into two off yet another BU set-piece.

After junior forward Erica Kosienski’s shot was saved and put out of play for the first of two corner kicks off the boot of junior defender Rachel Bloznalis, the second attempt fell right onto the leaping head of Chen, whose three-point game was capped off after extending her team’s lead to 2-0 on her first goal of the season.

It was in the final moments of the game that Army took its best chances at leveling the match. The Terriers’ 2-0 lead could have quickly been cut in half after a scrum in the middle of their box for the lost ball fell to the feet of the Black Knights, only for their shot attempt to sail over the net and not threaten senior goalkeeper Alyssa Parisi.

Army’s final attempt at salvaging a goal forced a demanding save from Parisi. The Black Knights’ work at the top of BU’s box led to a shot that was goal-bound if it were not for Parisi’s hand punching it away and preserving her fourth straight shutout.

Following her team’s 3-0 victory over the College of the Holy Cross on Wednesday, Feldman was initially wary of her team’s game at Army. But her team’s 2-0 result Saturday left her quite satisfied.

“It’s always tough to play away,” Feldman said. “We played a very strong, physical team in Army that plays very well at home. They’re playing for a spot in the tournament, so they’re incredibly motivated and it was their Senior Day which is a big day for teams and for players. … I’m proud of the team and I’m really happy for them, especially the seniors.”

Every season has its own unique storyline, and that was no different from this season for Feldman.

“Every year is definitely its own story, its own path, and when you’re in it, you start and you have goals,” Feldman said. “Hopefully towards the end we’ll achieve some of the bigger ones, and this team has through the bumps in the road and the disappointment and some of the failures, has come back the next day to work and improve with the attitude of persisting and moving forward.”

“This group has put itself in a good position to be standing at the end where they want to be, and that would be as Patriot League Tournament champions.”