BU employee struck on Comm. Ave. remains in critical condition

A female Boston University Medical Campus employee remains in critical condition at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center Friday after being struck by a vehicle on Commonwealth Avenue near Harry Agganis Way Thursday evening, according to BU spokesman Colin Riley.

Boston Police Department’s Fatal Accident Reconstruction Team was on the scene Thursday after the accident, according to BPD spokesperson Myeshia Henderson. The investigation closed part of Commonwealth Avenue from the BU Bridge to Babcock Street for multiple hours.

An BPD investigation is ongoing.

Mike is a former Editor-in-Chief of The Daily Free Press. Now, he dutifully fulfills his role as FreeP has-been. He also tells stories at an advertising agency in Philadelphia.

1. This area is so dangerous. Every day, I see dozens of BU students cross without looking. This should be a reminder AGAIN for all BU students to wake up and pay attention when cross the street.

2. Sadly, the Boston University Police do not, by statute, have authority to enforce traffic laws around the campus. This is NOT a failure of the University act, but more a failure of the MA Legislature to convey similar authority granted to the campus police departments in the MA state college system and other municipal police agencies.
    The case should be made that the MA Legislature be petitioned to empower private campus police agencies appointed pursuant to MGL Ch 22 C Sec. 63 to be able to enforce traffic ordinances in the area contiguous to the school.