Despite surge, women’s basketball drops decision to UNH

PHOTO BY ALLIE WIMLEY/DFP FILE PHOTO
Junior forward Meghan Green posted 15 points and six rebounds vs. UNH. PHOTO BY ALLIE WIMLEY/DFP FILE PHOTO

The Boston University women’s basketball team suffered its seventh loss in as many games on Saturday, falling to the University of New Hampshire, 69-52.

A 37-19 halftime deficit proved too much for the Terriers (0-7) to overcome and UNH (6-2) earned its third win in four games.

BU coach Katy Steding, who has been looking for someone to help the efforts of graduate student guard Troi Melton and junior guard Sarah Hope, was impressed with one player in particular. Junior forward Meghan Green buried five of her 14 field goals and ended the night with 15 points and six rebounds.

“She had a solid game,” Steding said. “We have a pretty good trio with Troi, Sarah and Meg, and I was happy with the team’s effort moving the ball at times and getting [Green] in the right spot.”

The early season trends that have harmed BU took effect throughout the contest, especially in the first half. BU made 25.9 percent of its shots in the first half, while UNH made 53.6 percent of its shots during the same timeframe. This led to a 20-8 first quarter deficit for the Terriers.

However, BU improved in the second half, as it shot 41.9 percent from the field. The Terriers also finished the game on a 17-1 run, but could not mount a big enough comeback to make the Wildcats pay for their .385 field goal percentage in the second half.

Much of BU’s troubles can be attributed to its poor play in the paint, and difference in points off turnovers. While UNH turned the ball over 13 times, BU could only turn those mistakes into 10 points. Meanwhile, UNH scored 20 points off BU’s 15 turnovers.

“We were real thin inside and some kids were playing out of position,” Steding said. “We need to work on rebounding, defensive intensity, and the transition game. With [sophomore forward] Kara Sheftic and [freshman guard] Lauren Spearman being out, it was tough. We battled pretty hard inside, but we let them get inside.”

Sophomore guard Corrine Williams was also hit in the head and had to leave the game early, which Steding said “certainly did not help [BU] throughout the game.”

Despite the various ups and downs, Steding insisted her team is slowly making progress.

“I thought we competed pretty well, I think we have lulls defensively and offensively,” she said. “We were a little more aggressive, but we didn’t start the way we wanted to and played catch-up from there. We got some good time for younger kids. They’re coming along. We got some bright spots.”

With those bright spots in mind, Steding has faith that her team will enjoy greener pastures soon.

“I think we were looking strategically at some options,” Steding said. “I know we are going to turn the corner, but we’re just waiting for it.”