BU rescinds Cosby’s honorary degree

Fordham University, Marquette University and Brown University have rescinded Bill Cosby's honorary degree this week, but Boston University has yet to follow suit. PHOTO BY RODRIGO BONILLA/DFP FILE PHOTO
Boston University announced in an email earlier today that the Board of Trustees voted to rescind the honorary degree awarded to Bill Cosby. PHOTO BY RODRIGO BONILLA/DFP FILE PHOTO

Boston University announced in an email earlier today that the Board of Trustees voted to rescind the honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degree awarded to Bill Cosby in May 2014.

In the email sent to BU community, President Robert Brown said, “The Board’s decision was based on a determination, supported by Mr. Cosby’s sworn deposition testimony, that his treatment of women has brought significant and lasting discredit upon himself and is inconsistent with the University’s mission and values.”

BU follows Tufts University’s decision, which revoked Cosby’s honorary degree in October.

“Each school operates on its own time frame,” BU spokesman Colin Riley told The Daily Free Press.

Cosby admitted his wrongdoing in a sworn deposition testimony. He has not faced any sexual assault criminal charges because most of these cases were past the statute of limitation.

“Mr. Cosby’s admitted conduct, which the University learned about only after awarding him the degree, demonstrates that his character fails to reflect the integrity and virtues that the University values and esteems in members of its community, and in those persons the University holds up for this particular honor,” Brown said in the email.