Team USA Outlook: Auston Matthews readies for leading role at World Juniors

Matthews is projected by many to be the No. 1 pick in the 2016 NHL Draft. PHOTO BY JONATHAN SIGAL
Auston Matthews is projected by many to be the No. 1 pick in the 2016 NHL Draft. PHOTO BY JONATHAN SIGAL/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

When Auston Matthews was three years old, he attended his first Phoenix Coyotes game. His uncle had season tickets at America West Arena, as it was formerly known, the old home of the Yotes, and so young Matthews, a resident of Scottsdale, accompanied him and his father to the rink to watch hockey for the first time.

After two years of seeing the likes of Shane Doan and Daniel Brière, Matthews started playing the game himself at age five. It didn’t make a difference that he was growing up in a state where the average temperature in the winter was 20 degrees above freezing. Matthews enjoyed watching so much that his parents invested in a stick and skates and young Matthews got to work.

“I had a blast, and it was really fun, and I kind of just went forward from there,” he said. “Never really looked back.”

Thirteen or so years later, wearing “U.S.A.” in big, red and blue letters across the chest of his white polyester mesh jersey, Matthews took line rushes at Agganis Arena for Team USA’s Under-20 World Junior training camp Tuesday. Flanked by wingers Matthew Tkachuk and Alex DeBrincat of the Ontario Hockey League, the 6-foot-2 center flew up and down the ice, coaxing and curling the puck as he went.

The goal is a simple one over the next few weeks for Team USA: to bring a gold medal home to the United States.

“You’re not really focused too much on yourself,” Matthews said. “I know for me, I just want to do whatever I can to help the team win.”

But plenty of outsiders are focused on Matthews himself.

He’s anticipated to be taken first overall in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft in June, putting him directly in the same spotlight center Connor McDavid and former Boston University men’s hockey player Jack Eichel occupied the year before during the tournament. Like the 2015 first and second overall picks, Matthews intends to keep himself detached from the media attention, to “keep [his] world small and focus on the team.”

Last year’s World Juniors roster did feature Matthews, but he had just one goal and two assists in five games for Team USA, which returned from the tournament without any hardware.

“I think last year was a little bit disappointing personally for myself and for the whole team,” he said, “but this year I think being a returning player, I can take a more leadership role and kind of produce more offense.”

Matthews’ experience with the World Junior squad has proved useful for Tkachuk, his roommate in Boston for the week.

“I’ve been kind of peppering his brain a little bit,” the 18-year-old Tkachuk said. “… I ask him all the little stuff, like what to expect in practice, what he thinks the coaches will bring, just how hard it is if you make the team, the competition. And so far he’s given me a lot of positive feedback, and we’re going to keep talking about it and hopefully we can be teammates together.”

Tkachuk, who played alongside Matthews during the U.S. National Team Development Program’s gold-medal run at the April U18 World Junior Championship, added that Matthews brings “everything” to the game.

“He’s the hardest worker on the ice,” Tkachuk said. “Great leader on and off the ice. Not only a shooter, but a great passer as well and just a really competitive player.”

Matthews hasn’t taken the traditional route NHL Draft eligible players typically take, one potentially involving a stint in the Canadian Hockey League or the NCAA. Instead, Matthews plays overseas in Zurich for the ZSC Lions of Switzerland’s professional National League A.

Matthews cited the chance to square off against older opponents in a “very good league” as part of the reason why he made the decision to head to Europe. Lions head coach Marc Crawford was another.

The former NHL bench boss has been focusing on honing Matthews’ defensive zone play and positioning without the puck so far.

“At that level, there are so many highly skilled players that they can really burn you in your defensive end,” Matthews said. “I think he’s really just been focusing on my defensive game and positioning and kind of letting me do my thing offensively, which has been nice.”

The decision has been a “really good” one for Matthews, and Team USA head coach Ron Wilson noted that Matthews looks confident coming into camp, praising the 18-year-old’s abilities handling the puck, controlling the puck, seeing the ice and passing.

Wilson said Matthews’ experience in Zurich, as well as his previous try at World Juniors gives him an advantage coming into the tournament this year, as he’s facing players his own age or a little bit younger now.

“A lot of what he learned last year he’ll be able to take forward and hopefully play better than he did last year,” Wilson said. “I’m very encouraged with what I’m seeing so far.”

The path Matthews has taken so far on his road to the NHL, Wilson continued, could “open the door for a lot of different guys.” Similarly, his success on that path is helping pave the way for kids from Arizona or in situations similar to his to be successful, too.

“I think it’s big, especially Arizona … The world of hockey’s been pretty big there,” Matthews said. “Having the Coyotes there is obviously pretty huge for that, so I think they’re a big part of it.

“And to kind of be a part of it as well, growing up there, it’s been pretty cool.”

GETTING TO KNOW YOU

Who’s your favorite NHL player and why?

Auston Matthews: Jonathan Toews. I like to watch him play and kind of try to mold my game after him. He’s obviously had a good career so far, and he’s a winner. I mean, he competes every shift, and it’s something I really admire and like to watch.

How would you describe your playing style?

AM: I think I’m a two-way power forward, center. I like to score goals and create plays and still be responsible in my defensive zone.

What’s your favorite song?

AM: Any Justin Bieber song right now is pretty good. He’s coming out with some good music.

What’s your favorite movie?

AM: Favorite movie? Pfff … a lot. I’m a big “Happy Gilmore” fan. “Step Brothers” was funny. I don’t know, there’s too many.

If you had a goal song, what would it be?

AM: Goal song…

Judy Cohen: Bieber?

AM: Yeah, Bieber for sure. Any song, anything.

JC: Just in rotation?

AM: Yeah, just switch off.

If you had to eat any food for the rest of your life, what would it be?

AM: Probably Chipotle.

JC: Even after…

AM: Well, yeah, I’ve been warned not to eat it here. Maybe I’ll try Qdoba instead until this whole thing sorts itself out.

JC: Then you go right back?

AM: Yeah, right back, absolutely.

Nice girl, tries hard, loves the game. Judy covers men's hockey for The Daily Free Press. When she's not writing, she's quoting "Miracle" in conversations and living in a constant in a state of wonder at everything Patrice Bergeron has ever done. Follow her on Twitter at @judylee_c