Going For Two: New England Patriots culture persists through roster turnover

Tom Brady has brought about stability amidst the Patriots' roster turnover. PHOTO COURTESY KEITH ALLISON/FLICKR
Tom Brady has brought about stability amidst the Patriots’ roster turnover. PHOTO COURTESY KEITH ALLISON/FLICKR

They say that the more things change, the more they stay the same. For the New England Patriots, a team known for cutting star players once they become too expensive, that statement could not be more accurate. However, since 2001, three members of the Patriots have been fixed points for the franchise: Robert Kraft, Bill Belichick and Tom Brady.

Through their ensuing 15-year stretch of dominance, those in New England have repeatedly yelled in anger at the trades and releases of favorite team players. Former Pro-Bowlers such as Richard Seymour, Mike Vrabel and, more recently, Chandler Jones departed Foxborough after Belichick traded them away in the latter parts of their expensive contracts. The “Hooded One’s” tenure has featured large blockbuster deals centered around dealing star players before having to sign them to lucrative, long-term deals. These trades, however, have often yielded high-numbered draft picks that have turned into the likes of Nate Solder, Shane Vereen and Jones.

Fan favorites have also left the confines of Gillette Stadium in free agency, largely due to Belichick’s reputation as a stingy negotiator who puts the needs of the team above any individual. The Greater Boston Area has seen the likes of Wes Welker, Darrelle Revis and Danny Woodhead earn high-paying contracts elsewhere in the AFC.

Even through the Patriots have had a revolving door at seemingly every position on the field, Brady has been the definition of consistent in New England.

After being selected in the sixth round out of the University of Michigan, Brady clawed his way up the depth chart for the Patriots after a brutal injury to starting quarterback Drew Bledsoe. Since that fateful day, Brady has started almost every game, save for the brunt of the 2008 season when he suffered an ACL injury in the season opener. Brady, now 38, has been the most consistent player in not only the Patriots organization, but in the entire NFL.

What Brady gives Belichick and company is the luxury of not having consistent, high-paid wide receivers to throw to, with the exception of Rob Gronkowski. TB12’s pedigree and talent allows him to have a lesser quality of receiving targets while still carrying the Patriots to one of the league’s best records year after year. With that being said, Belichick has equipped his star quarterback with better options as he approaches 40.

While Brady does not need the likes of Belichick and Kraft to be arguably the best quarterback of all time, the coach-owner combination has equipped Brady with the tools for long-term success.

Belichick has already established himself among the likes of Don Shula, Bill Walsh, Vince Lombardi and the rest of the coaching greats. The former Cleveland Browns front man has compiled a 223-113 record to go with his four Super Bowl wins in six appearances. Winning 13 division championships, Belichick has solidified himself as the greatest mind in the game today. But he doubles as much more than just the signal caller in New England. As the general manager, Belichick oversees all of the Patriots scouting and potential draft picks. By having a hand in seemingly all areas of his football team, Belichick has made himself invaluable.

Through his involvement on draft day, the Pats have acquired building blocks that, either through their play or through their value on the trade market, set the team up for long-term success. Players such as Super Bowl MVP Deion Branch, Pro-Bowler Vince Wilfork, the always-dependable Stephen Gostkowski and recently retired Jerod Mayo have graced Foxborough because of Belichick’s draft savvy. And while he has been criticized for his inability to select quality players at cornerback, Belichick has turned in solid picks at the position. Four-time Pro Bowl selection Asante Samuel and Devin McCourty both directly came from the college ranks.

Finally, Robert Kraft has been the most underappreciated, vital piece of the Patriots dynasty. Since he purchased the team in early 1994, New England has won four Super Bowls and advanced to the playoffs 16 times. His ownership also led to the construction of Gillette Stadium and Patriot Place, two hallmarks of one of the league’s premier franchises.

The Patriots are often criticized by fans and foes alike for not hanging on to key players that have given their team the opportunity to win more Super Bowls. However, with Brady, Belichick and Kraft at the helm, New England is a threat year in and year out to take home the Lombardi Trophy. They’ll also save some money along the way, and that never hurts.