FreeP vs. Food: Tacos

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]

For this edition of FreeP versus Food, we tried taquerias, or Mexican restaurants that specialize in tacos. Between carnitas, shrimp and veggie tacos, we decided to try as many dishes as possible from four taquerias in neighborhoods close to Boston University, judging them on taste, atmosphere, aesthetic and everything in between.

Spice up your life and check out these four joints. This is FreeP versus Food: Taco Edition.

[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_single_image image=”119196″ img_size=”full” title=”El Pelón Taqueria”][vc_column_text]

Located in the Fenway area, El Pelón Taqueria finds its charm in twinkling fairy lights, cozy benches and cute outdoor seating. The photographs on the wall and welcoming staff lend themselves to a family-friendly environment. The taqueria also attracts college students with its cheap prices — single tacos only cost $2 each. However, the authentic atmosphere does not make up for the subpar tacos.

The tacos lacked any real toppings, coming only with our choice of protein and an overwhelming amount of pickled cabbage. The pickled cabbage juice made the tacos soggy and unpleasant to eat. While the carnitas were tasty, it was hard to enjoy them with the cabbage’s overbearing presence. For vegetarians, the beans are enjoyable, but the tacos lack in veggies. Overall, the experience was worse than what we had hoped for. If you’re looking for cheap tacos and a fun environment, this place is for you. If you’re looking for tasty tacos, try your luck somewhere else.

Allegra: C

Jessie: F

Michaela: B

Elise: B

[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_single_image image=”119200″ img_size=”full” title=”Amelia’s Taqueria”][vc_column_text]

A cozy, brightly lit hole in the wall, Amelia’s Taqueria is the best place to be when you’re on that Friday night Allston crawl. Open until 2 a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights, Amelia’s offers a variety of choices: fried plantains, four salsa options, grilled tofu and vegetables, shrimp and sliced avocado. Due to limited seating, takeout tacos are a great option. However, if you manage to snatch a seat, you’ll enjoy the poppin’ music and classic red, yellow and green decor.

While we appreciated the diversity of flavors, it was easy to spend lots of money due to all of the add-ons. The tortillas were “sufficiently not soggy,” according to Elise, and the fillings were substantial. In addition to the tacos, the hip vibes were very strong. As soon as we sat down, the music (Hotline Bling by Drake) was turned up and the energy level immediately rose. We also ordered a side of chips and guacamole. If you appreciate lots of lime, the guacamole is incredible. Even if you don’t, the chips are crispy and definitely on point.

Allegra: A

Jessie: A+

Michaela: A+

Elise: A-

[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_single_image image=”119194″ img_size=”full” title=”Los Amigos Taqueria”][vc_column_text]

A Chipotle-esque spot, Los Amigos takes on a health-conscious, modern feel that draws many to Coolidge Corner to satisfy their taco cravings. While we had a couple of (very minor) critiques for the tacos, the warm environment had us promising to return.

Initially, we very much appreciated the amount of choices (they piled it on) especially at only $3.15 per taco. Between the fresh carnitas, guacamole (the best of the four), salsa (evenly seasoned, especially for Michaela and her Midwestern “can’t handle spice” attitude), mixed grilled vegetables and cheese, we felt like we were getting a great deal. But there were a few minor issues. The vegetables, while an accommodating option, were slightly on the greasy side and cut into large chunks. They would have been much better had they been smaller. Because the vegetables were difficult to eat in a taco, we got a little discouraged. At one point, in her desperation, Michaela announced that eating tacos was “harder than school.”

Despite the vegetables, Los Amigos was one of the top taco restaurants we visited. Combine that with the family-friendly atmosphere, savory guacamole and reasonable pricing, and you’ve got a new go-to spot.

Allegra: A-

Jessie: A

Michaela: A

Elise: A

[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][vc_column width=”1/2″][vc_single_image image=”119199″ img_size=”full” title=”Anna’s Taqueria”][vc_column_text]

Anna’s Taqueria was one of the better taco joints we visited. It’s located in Coolidge Corner, one of the cutest areas in Boston and a fairly short walk from campus. The staff was nice and accommodating. They had vegetarian and vegan options, in addition to the gluten-free corn tortillas that all the restaurants used by default.

Anna’s serving sizes were huge, which made up for each taco costing $3.35. The amount of toppings in one taco could have easily made two. Although the serving sizes were big, the flavors themselves were lackluster. The rice was not very flavorful and the guacamole was not as tasty as Los Amigo’s. The vegetables were chopped up into small pieces, which was easier to eat than big chunks of zucchini and bell peppers. The atmosphere was not as cute as Amelia’s or Los Amigo’s, but overall, Anna’s is a good place to eat if you’re in Coolidge Corner and craving tacos.

Allegra: A-

Jessie:  A-

Michaela: B

Elise: A

[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]

[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]