BU men’s hockey relies on power play, strong goaltending to rout Sacred Heart

Clayton Keller tallied his third collegiate goal in the win over the Pioneers. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/DAILY FREE PRESS

Friday’s night game may not have started off pretty, but for the No. 8 Boston University men’s hockey team, it didn’t matter.

Thanks to a shutout performance from freshman goaltender Jake Oettinger, and a dominant power play unit, the Terriers (2-2) kept Sacred Heart University at bay en route to a 7-0 victory. Seven different Terriers scored for BU, including freshmen defensemen Dante Fabbro and Chad Krys, who both notched their first collegiate goals versus the Pioneers (1-3-1).

“I thought there were some areas that we definitely improved on,” said BU head coach David Quinn. “We had more offensive zone time than we’ve had in any game this year. We were much more patient, we were more difficult to play against, we used our points more in the offensive zone. Defensively, we did a better job protecting the house.”

The Terriers biggest strength was their power play unit, which mainly consisted of Fabbro and forwards Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson, Pat Harper, Clayton Keller and Jordan Greenway. BU finished the game 3-for-9 on the extra-man advantage. They also were a successful 9-for-9 on the penalty kill.

“We were opportunistic, without question,” Quinn said regarding the power play. “I still don’t love what I see, we’re still a little too methodical, there’s too much stick-handling, not enough puck movement yet, but we’re getting there. We’re a work in progress when you’re dominated by freshmen and sophomores.”

The Terriers had a few offensive opportunities to start the game, but it was the power play that got BU on the board first. After a Pioneer was called for interference with 12:33 remaining in the opening frame, the sophomore Greenway picked up a rebound from classmate Forsbacka-Karlsson and completed a pretty wraparound for his second goal of the season.

Just 20 seconds later, Keller went top left corner for his third collegiate goal on a pass from Greenway behind the net.

Sacred Heart would get the chance to cut into the Terrier’s lead, however, when junior defenseman John MacLeod was called for hooking on a clear goal-scoring opportunity for the Pioneers. Sacred Heart forward Evan Jasper took the shot, but the puck tapped off the post and slid into the crease behind Oettinger. The freshman netminder turned around and flicked the puck out just before it rolled into the net. Oettinger, who made 23 saves on the night, is now 2-for-2 on penalty shot stops this season.

“I think with every game I become a little more comfortable [with penalty shots],” Oettinger said. “Obviously, a penalty shot for either team is a big swing in the game. I was really happy to step up tonight and make the save.”

The second period didn’t provide any scoring, but was marred with penalties from both sides instead. BU and Sacred Heart combined for 22 minutes in the box, including a bench minor from Quinn himself.

“I got my first penalty, so shame on me,” Quinn joked after.

Terriers celebrate after scoring a goal. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/DAILY FREE PRESS

Then, 5:51 into the third period, the Terriers got another power play chance, and this time it was freshman forward Kieffer Bellows who made the most of it. Right after taking a big hit, the 6-foot-1 Bellows got the puck on the right circle and fired a wrister past Pioneer goaltender Brett Magnus for his second goal in the last two games.

Krys would then light the lamp with 9:58 left in the period on a slapshot from just in front of the blue line. Not long after, Fabbro would get a slapshot of his own to bounce into the net, then senior forward Nick Roberto would score his second goal of the season after missing all of last year.

Sophomore forward Bobo Carpenter added a shorthanded goal with 1:33 remaining on an assist from Roberto, who had three points on the night.

Now that they’re back in the win column, the Terriers will prepare for a Top-10 battle with No. 4 Quinnipiac University on Saturday. The Bobcats will surely provide a challenge for the players and Quinn, who was sure to not get too ahead of himself despite a 7-0 victory.

“It was a good night, nice to get back on the winning side of things,” Quinn said, “Now we get ready for a big one tomorrow.”

Nick is currently writing for the Boston Hockey Blog. In the past, he has served as associate sports editor, and has covered men's and women's cross-country, women's soccer, men's basketball, and men's lacrosse for the Daily Free Press. You can keep track of Nick's exciting life by following him on Twitter at @nikfraz14