Women’s soccer unlikely co-league champions, eyeing future glory

Senior defender Rachel Bloznalis was named Patriot League Defender of the Year on Monday. PHOTO BY KELSEY CRONIN/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Saturday’s 2-0 win over the United States Naval Academy was one major achievement during the Boston University women’s soccer team’s unlikely turnaround this season.

The Terriers (8-10-1, 8-1-0 Patriot League) faced similar adversity last season, when they came out the gate losing four of their opening six matches, but quite as shocking as this season’s struggles.

Ten games went by, each ending with a BU loss.

That’s why the fact that the Terriers wound up dominating conference play, let alone capturing at least a share of the regular season title with Bucknell University, is grounds for celebration.

As BU head coach Nancy Feldman reminded her team though, there are still games to be played, with future, more gratifying implications to follow.

“We haven’t finished the job,” Feldman said. “Until we see where we end up, I really wait until the end of the season to probably comment on [my thoughts on her team’s league title]. To this team’s credit, however, they stayed very positive. They kept working hard. They kept believing in themselves and the process and that’s why they’ve been able to turn it around.”

Terriers’ turnaround led by mix of offensive attack and defensive smothering

The Terriers’ unprecedented losing ways to start this 2016 campaign were mainly a result of offensive inefficiency, which put more pressure on their worn-down backline.

Following its season-opening 2-1 loss against Arizona State University in the middle of August, Feldman’s side went scoreless in its next four contests while being outscored 8-0 during those games.

In their match against the University of Cincinnati on Sept. 5, the Terriers were able to snatch a goal, but allowed a tragic own-goal with eight seconds remaining to prolong their winless streak.

Four more matches went by for a scoreless BU side, which was outscored 9-0 during that stretch and 21-2 in its opening 10 matches.

Since the start of Patriot League play on Sept. 18, however, the Terriers have put up 18 goals to their opponent’s seven, with their defense surrendering two goals in a contest in all but twice.

Feldman chalks up the overall progression of her team on both sides of the ball to perfecting small day-by-day habits.

“You’re not thinking about anything but what you need to do and how you need to play and what to focus and concentrate on to be successful in the moment,” Feldman said. “And that’s just a habit. I think we do a very good at practicing that habit. Our habit is rhythm of preparation … we just want to keep focusing on the detail of how to, not ‘What do we want, and what do we want the end to be?’”

Bloznalis enters postseason play as newly-minted Defender of the Year

Another season, another year of the Terriers taking home a Patriot League Defender of the Year Award.

In 2015, it went to senior McKenzie Hollenbaugh; this season, the accolade went to senior Rachel Bloznalis, who’s been the anchor on that Terriers backline for much of her career.

“[Bloznalis] has been a steadying force in the backline, pretty much since the day she got here,” Feldman said.

The Upton native took home the award Monday morning after leading a BU defense, which produced five league shutouts.

The Terriers backline was also the stingiest when it came to goals allowed, as they conceded just five (.56 goals allowed per game) spread across nine conference matches.

Although recognized as a senior, Feldman announced that Bloznalis will be back next season for her fifth year of eligibility, giving the captain another chance to rep the scarlet and white one last time.

“She really has grown and developed her game,” Feldman said. “Came in with a lot of good ability and a lot of confidence as a natural leader and has really matured in all those ways. She’s been a wonderful leader and role model for Boston University athletics.”