Nicki Wieners’ strike sends BU past Navy, into Patriot League Tournament

Sophomore Nicki Wieners was BU's goal-scoring hero against Navy. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF
Sophomore Nicki Wieners was BU’s goal-scoring hero against Navy. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The Boston University men’s soccer team clinched the fourth seed in the Patriot League Tournament following its 1-0 win over the United States Naval Academy at Nickerson Field on Friday night.

Sophomore midfielder Nicki Wieners recorded a dramatic game-winning goal in the 74th minute to push the Terriers (8-6-2, 4-3-2 Patriot League) into the conference playoff’s quarterfinal round.

The goal was the Munich native’s first of the season and second of his collegiate career.

“Nicki is a good player,” said BU head coach Neil Roberts. “It’s just a patience thing for him. He played for us last year and I think today was one of his better days. His future is bright and coming into the playoffs he’s going to help us.”

BU created chances aplenty against the Midshipmen (5-9-4, 1-6-2 Patriot League), but just couldn’t convert until Wieners redirected a header from senior forward Felix De Bona that hit the crossbar.

Wieners said he’s been trying relentlessly to net a goal over the course of the season, and acknowledged it could not have come at a better moment.

“I’ve been trying to score all season,” the sophomore said. “In such a crucial game, to score the game-winning goal, I’m super happy about that, but I am much happier that the team is back on track. We’re looking forward to the tournament and I’m hoping we can get to the finals and win it.”

The Terriers outshot the Midshipmen 23-11 and won the corner kicks battle 8-4, as they controlled the pace of play throughout and didn’t allow Navy to get any legitimate scoring opportunities.

“It’s like so many of the games we played this year,” Roberts said. “We were getting shots but we weren’t dangerous. At the beginning of the half we had two really, really good chances [and] if we can put those away early, it just changes the whole game, and we just haven’t been able to do that.”

While the Terriers couldn’t expand their lead, much credit falls on the shoulders of Navy’s junior goalkeeper, Mac Burke. Despite standing at just 5-foot-9, the La Plata, Maryland native’s strategic placement and good hands denied the Terriers twice in the first half and once in the second half.

BU’s senior goalkeeper, Matt Gilbert, who has played well this season, enjoyed a rather pedestrian game, tallying just one save. However, his presence on the field was clearly felt as the Midshipmen had trouble crossing balls into the box without them being snuffed out by the 6-foot-4 Gilbert.

Along with Gilbert, the rest of the Terrier seniors are now nearing their last days as BU student-athletes.  

“[The seniors] are guys who have just put in at training,” Roberts said. “They’re great students, great kids and great teammates. It’s just a great group of guys.”  

Looking ahead, the Terriers will take on Bucknell University in the Patriot League quarterfinals Tuesday night at Nickerson Field.

The Bison (7-10-2, 4-4-1 Patriot League) come into the game ranked as the five seed. The two sides played to a 1-1 overtime draw back on Sept. 24, with Gilbert making 10 saves and junior midfielder Anthony Viteri finding net.

“[Friday night] we just got there, so now we understand we need to do,” Roberts said. “We have a couple days to get ready for our next opponent.”