REVIEW: “Moana” shines as new, strong Disney heroine

Walt Disney Animation Studios' newest release "Moana" premiered Wednesday. PHOTO COURTESY WALT DISNEY PICTURES
Walt Disney Animation Studios’ newest release “Moana” premiered Wednesday. PHOTO COURTESY WALT DISNEY PICTURES

Disney has done it again with “Moana,” an artistic and cinematic triumph.

The film is Walt Disney Animation Studios’ 56th feature film. A musical set among the Pacific Islands, “Moana” follows the adventures of the titular character and her attempt to travel across the ocean to a fabled island.

The film opens like a storybook, laying out the lore and mythology of those who live on Moana’s home island, Motunui. Moana’s grandmother (Rachel House) narrates the story of how long ago, a small green stone known as the heart of the sea was stolen from a life-creating goddess. This unleashed a darkness upon the islands — a darkness that is now finally spreading to Motunui.

Following this expository tale is a sequence featuring an unbelievably adorable baby Moana. Moana stumbles to the beach and the ocean literally opens up for her, presenting her with the believed-to-be-lost heart of the sea and tasking her with returning it.

However, Moana’s father Chief Tui (Temuera Morrison) soon rips Moana from the waves and brings her back the village. The ocean closes back up, but not before Moana’s grandmother grabs the stone to give to Moana at a later date.   

As she grows up, Moana yearns to leave her home and explore beyond the island, but her father sternly and regularly prevents her from doing so in the hope that Moana will soon succeed him as leader of the village.

Here, in the first minutes of the film, a heavy, significant theme arises. Parents watching the film will obviously relate to Chief Tui’s protectiveness. However, children and teenagers watching may, understandably, relate to Moana’s aching to leave. From the beginning, “Moana” establishes an emotional resonance, and it rings throughout the whole film.

Teenage Moana, the version of the character in the rest of the film, is an absolutely fantastic lead. Voiced by the previously uncredited Auli’i Cravalho, Moana comes across as talented, clever and spunky.

Moana is a thoroughly modern character. She doesn’t fit into any molds of the typical Disney female. She even explicitly says at one point that she is no princess. A spirited Pacific Islander who can lead her people, climb a mountain and sail a boat is a refreshing far cry from Cinderella or Snow White.

After some encouragement from her grandmother, Moana sets out on her quest. Along the way, Moana enlists the help of Maui, a legendary demigod voiced by Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson.

Maui is sassy, cocky and egotistical, yet in his heart his only aim is to please and serve humanity. Johnson gives a great performance and plays a character strikingly similar to his own persona.

Moana and Maui initially have a straining and combative relationship, but it eventually develops into something touching and heartwarming.

However, there is no romantic love story to be found here. No prince arrives to save Moana. Instead, her complex relationships with Maui, her grandmother and her village are explored. It is yet another area in which “Moana” is extremely forward-thinking.

The music in “Moana” is superb. From the high-energy, percussive number performed by the villagers of Motunui to Moana’s stirring ballad regarding the sea calling to her, all the songs are catchy and memorable. The soundtrack was composed by Mark Mancina, who worked on “The Lion King,” and Lin-Manuel Miranda, creator of the smash Broadway hit “Hamilton: An American Musical.”

The songs feel nostalgic and familiar, even upon first listen. They are the types of songs that stay stuck in heads days later and the kind of music that begs to be immediately replayed.

Music that feels characteristically Polynesian underscores many of the emotional moments in the film. Complete with native-language chants and geographically appropriate instruments, the score itself feels socially conscious.

The film, unsurprisingly, looks gorgeous. The waves and the horizon look uncharacteristically real. The facial expressions and hair of the characters seem tangible and human. The tattoos on Maui’s body literally dance upon his skin and appear to jump off the screen.

The ocean is animated as its own character, too. The waves jump with personality in a way that is difficult to describe. The sea is as much of a character as Moana or Maui, and it works to great effect.

After the success of films such as “Frozen,” “Big Hero 6” and “Zootopia,” it could be expected that Disney’s next movie would struggle to reach the same heights. That could not be further from the truth when it comes to “Moana.”

“Moana” matches the quality of those movies in every regard. In many ways, this film surpasses them. “Moana” is beautiful, emotional and without a doubt worth the watch.

1. You are a talented writer, Jonathan. Keep growing!

2. Johnathan – You did a fantastic review of this film. It makes me want to check it out when it appears locally. You have a creative mind that certainly served you well on this endeavor. I am looking forward to reading more from you.

3. And this kid is a freshman- Well done Jonathan, you are on you way to becoming a very special journalism major. Keep up the good work.