Ghostlight Project aims to shine light on dark political climate

Boston University's School of Theatre, Boston Playwrights' Theatre, the Tsai Performance Center and the BU Arts Initiative join together Thursday night for The Ghostlight Project, a national movement to promote tolerance in the theater community. PHOTO BY ABIGAIL FREEMAN/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF
Boston University’s School of Theatre, Boston Playwrights’ Theatre, the Tsai Performance Center and the BU Arts Initiative join together Thursday night for The Ghostlight Project, a national movement to promote tolerance in the theater community. PHOTO BY ABIGAIL FREEMAN/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Approximately 20 Boston residents and Boston University community members gathered Thursday evening at several locations on BU’s campus to create a positive, welcoming space for all before the presidential inauguration.

The event was a part of the Ghostlight Project, an program that is being held in all timezone across the country. 

According to the event’s registration page, the project was aimed at creating inclusiveness and promoting future action in “a collective, simultaneous action, together creating ‘light’ for challenging times ahead.”

“Inspired by the tradition of leaving a ‘ghost light’ on in a darkened theatre, these artists and communities will make a pledge to continued vigilance and increased advocacy,” the website said.

The event also aimed to create sanctuary spaces that would be “both literal and symbolic — that will serve as lights in the coming years.”

The walk began at Boston Playwrights’ Theatre, then moved to the College of Fine Arts, the Boston University Theatre Center before finally ended at the Tsai Performance Center. At each stop, students, theatre enthusiasts and professionals hold flashlights and signs.

One woman held a sign that read “I am hopeful, I fight for the light.”

Ty Furman, the BU Arts Initiative managing director, was active in bringing the event to BU. He wrote in an email that he hoped the event would build up to many theatrical organizations gathering together at the Tsai Performance Center.

At the Tsai Performance Center, Furman addressed the theatre community’s pledge to those who feel marginalized.

“We pledge to seek out, train and support artists and scholars that represent all walks of life, so that we can nurture and present stories that encourage audiences and participants to understand, embrace and advocate for people who are different from themselves,” he said.

Furman emphasized that every person was welcome into the theatre space.

“We pledge to expand relationships with the community so that we can provide access to and welcome anyone into our spaces and community regardless of race, class, religion, country of origin, immigration status, ability, disability, gender identity, sexual identity or dissident action,” he said. 

Several students and professors who attended the event said they appreciated the Ghostlight Project’s message.

Samantha Noble, a third-year graduate student in CFA, said the theatre has always been a safe space in the darkness, and she wants it to remain that way.

“[The theatre] has always been a place where you can express yourself, you can feel safe …  I want to make sure it stays an inclusive space as we move forward,” Noble said. “Also, the ghost light is such a beautiful and sweet tradition. It helps people feel safe in the dark and there is a lot of darkness right now. I want people to feel safe.”

Elaine Vaan Hogue, a theatre professor, said unity is necessary right now.

“I think it’s important for all of us to come together,” Vaan Hogue said. “It would be easy for me to feel very defeated by the times and to literally shine a beacon of light for the future.”

Kira Rockwell, a first-year graduate student in CFA, said she came out tonight because theatre is a way of telling stories that can empower.

“I came out here tonight because I believe theatre is a way to communicate stories in a honest and truthful way. As we come together, we feel stronger together as a community … we can say these stories together and not be afraid of anyone telling us to be quiet,” she said.

The night ended with a stage light being lit and aimed at the Tsai Performance Center.