Women’s hockey gearing up for Beanpot matchup against rival BC

Forward Samantha Sutherland and the rest of BU's offense will need to convert scoring chances to beat Boston College. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF
Forward Samantha Sutherland and the rest of BU’s offense will need to convert scoring chances to beat Boston College. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

When it comes to college hockey, few rivalries have history as rich as the one between Boston University and Boston College. The latest chapter in the so-called “Green Line Rivalry” will be decided Tuesday night, as BU women’s hockey team (13-9-5, 8-8-4 Hockey East) takes on BC (19-3-4, 15-2-2) in the first game of the 2017 Women’s Beanpot Tournament at Northeastern University.

Historically, the Beanpot has not been kind to BU women’s hockey. The Terriers have won only one title, beating BC back in 1981. BU last played in the championship game in 2012, but in an overtime loss to Northeastern.

The 2017 Terriers are looking to change their luck.

This season, BU and BC have been evenly matched. In three games, the Terriers are 1-1-1 when facing BC, with a 5-3 loss, a 5-3 win and a 1-1 tie. This may be the last time these two teams face off this season, and BU head coach Brian Durocher is hoping his team can turn things around, despite the tough opponent.

“BC is a very talented club, from top to bottom,” Durocher said. “They floor-check you harder than probably anybody else in Hockey East and maybe in Eastern college hockey. It’s just the aggressive style they play.”

Durocher noted that the Eagles are strong on both sides of the puck, applauding the play of freshmen forwards Delaney Belinskas and Caitrin Lonergan, as well as junior goaltender Katie Burt.

“They’re a very good, well-coached team,” Durocher said. “They play with a lot of skill and confidence.”

To combat BC’s aggressive approach, Durocher said the Terriers will look to expand the defensive zone, exploit the energy of the BC skaters and create 2-on-1 opportunities.

“You have to capitalize,” Durocher said. “If you get three 2-on-1’s in a game, and you don’t score, it’s a whole different ballgame than putting one or two of those in and keeping the game close.”

The 2016-2017 season has been a string of ups and downs for the Terriers, in part due to injuries. During the team’s inconsistent play, senior goaltender Victoria Hanson has provided stability.

Hanson’s 92.8 percent save rate has been crucial for the Terriers, instilling a source of confidence for the players and coaching staff.

“If you’ve got a goalie who feels good about herself, and a team that feels good about her being in front of them, that’s a great place to start — with confidence,” Durocher said.

Against BC, Durocher is hoping to see strong performances from his entire team, from point leaders junior forward Victoria Bach and graduate student forward Mary Parker to key forwards such as senior Samantha Sutherland and junior Nina Rodgers.

“Our greatest strength going into the year, and probably through the first 20 games, was the fact that we could score goals, not just from one person or two people, but six, seven or eight different people,” Durocher said. “It’s going to be important for them to ideally all get hot at the right time.”

In addition to a strong performance on the ice, mental toughness can play a key role in a big, high-stakes situation like the Beanpot. It is easy to get caught up in the moment especially since it’s a BU vs. BC game.

Regardless of the outcome, the Beanpot presents the Terriers with a final opportunity to gain momentum as the regular season winds down and the Hockey East playoffs approach.

“Maybe Tuesday we start a streak, where we win a game that’s very key and get to play for a championship the following Tuesday,” Durocher said. “The Beanpot is in a funny location [on the schedule] because it’s such a big tournament for the four Boston schools that it can definitely be a springboard. It can be an exciting time that leaves you with a hangover, so to say.”