Lacrosse, Sports

Men’s lacrosse begins 2017 campaign with tilt at Providence

The BU lacrosse team will look to build off last season, its first ever winning season, with a crop of experienced seniors. PHOTO BY OLIVIA FALCIGNO/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

For a team entering its third season as a Division I program, expectations are often tempered. However, that was not the case for the Boston University men’s lacrosse team in 2016, as it placed its two consecutive losing seasons in the rearview mirror to capture its first-ever winning season, finishing at 8-7.

Due to its impressive start a season ago, BU earned votes in Inside Lacrosse’s Top 25 preseason poll. Now, featuring the program’s first-ever class of experienced seniors, the Terriers are ready to cement themselves as one of the premier teams in the conference.

“This team is different because our senior leadership has bought into this consistency and this work ethic,” said BU head coach Ryan Polley. “For the first time ever, we have more upperclassmen than we do underclassmen, so we are well-positioned to have a big year.”

Senior goalkeeper Christian Carson-Banister shared the same sentiment as Polley.

“[There is a lot of] excitement,” Carson-Banister said. “This is our last hurrah.”

Two preseason All-American midfielders, seniors Cal Dearth and Sam Talkow, lead the Terriers. A season ago, Dearth finished third on the team in points with 28.

Two seasons ago, Dearth emerged onto the scene with 42 points, including 19 goals and 23 assists. The two-time Patriot League First Team selection will look to replicate his performance in his final season with the Terriers. Talkow’s effectiveness on face-off opportunities will play a key role in Dearth’s ability to pace the offensive attack.

Talkow finished third in the NCAA in face-off percentage last season, winning 69.5 percent of his chances. He also scooped up 6.62 ground balls per game, the ninth-highest figure in the country. The Terriers will require a similar output from Talkow this season if they wish to improve upon last year’s offensive production.

“[Talkow] is one of the best in the country,” Polley said. “He gives us opportunities to score off of the faceoff while allowing us to do many different things in the transition game. We can score a goal and then have him win the faceoff and score another one. The possession advantage he gives us [is important].”

Much of the Terriers’ scoring ability in 2017 will revolve around their trio of attackers. Junior Jack Wilson led the team in points (36) in 2016 while the sophomore duo of James Burr and Brendan Homire combined for 37 goals and 24 assists last season.

Burr led the Terriers’ scoring attack with 28 goals, while Homire led the team with 17 assists.

The offense will receive its first test this Saturday afternoon when BU visits Providence College. The defensive unit of the Friars was a weak spot in 2016, as they finished 46th in the country in scoring defense, allowing 10.81 goals per contest.

Providence was especially poor in man-down situations in 2016, as the team allowed opponents to score over 37 percent of the time in those situations, 45th in the nation. It will be key for the Terriers to remain out of the penalty box while capitalizing on any man-up opportunities they have.

The Friars swiped just 26.13 ground balls per game last season, the 46th best average in the NCAA. By comparison, BU ranked fifth in the country with 32.47 ground balls per outing. The loose ball effort showcased in this contest will play a significant factor in who comes out on top, and the Terriers must place a premium on scooping up ground balls at the rate that they were able to in 2016.

“We just need to get more possessions and opportunities and take care of the ball,” Polley said. “Our offense has been stagnant at times, so we need to move the ball a little more in order to get high percentage shots. We have to go out and execute. It will be a huge challenge for us to go down there and play. We just want to play well and let the score take care of itself.”