Hundreds gather in Boston Common, support Mass. Safe Communities Act

A rally breaks out Wednesday afternoon in Boston Common in support of the Massachusetts Safe Communities Act. PHOTO BY ALYSSA MEYERS/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

By Sarah Wu and Haley Fritz

Approximately 200 protesters gathered in the snowy Boston Common Wednesday afternoon to stand in solidarity with those affected by President Donald Trump’s controversial immigration orders.

Protesters carried signs reading “Justice Not Walls” and “No Human Being is Illegal” as they chanted refrains such as “Keep your wall, keep your ban, the USA is already great.”

Another chant, “Where is Charlie,” questioned Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker, who has not joined other Massachusetts officials to speak out against Trump’s immigration orders.

The rally was organized to urge elected officials to support an act to protect the civil rights and safety of all Massachusetts residents, otherwise known as the Massachusetts Safe Communities Act, a law that would prevent Massachusetts tax dollars from funding deportation or Muslim registry.

Jeffrey Gross, director of the New Americans Integration Institute and a volunteer with the Massachusetts Immigrant and Refugee Advocacy Coalition, said lawmakers proposed the Safe Communities Act long before the 2016 presidential election.

“This is something we’ve been fighting for in Massachusetts, and it’s an issue regardless of who wins,” Gross said before the rally. “I think the election of Trump has energized us and brought together cross-movement focus … The energy we’re seeing today of the turnout reflects the impact of the executive orders.”

Massachusetts State Sen. James Eldridge, one of two lead sponsors of the Safe Communities Act, urged protesters to “send a message” to Baker and other Massachusetts lawmakers.

“We need to make sure every resident in every single city and town is safe from federal immigration authorities,” Eldridge said. “I want all immigrants in the state, all of our Muslim friends and neighbors, to know that you have many allies in the legislature, many of whom are behind me today.”

Eldridge, who represents the Middlesex and Worcester counties, said Trump’s orders will not change the values of Massachusetts.

“We have to protect and celebrate the rich diversity that reflects why the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is called the cradle of liberty,” Eldridge said. “Fighting back against tyranny is an integral part of our history, and we will lead the battle against any attempt to destroy our social fabric.”

Eldridge said the immigration orders are an issue of civil rights, and citizens need to see courage from state legislators in response.

“Our laws, our state laws, our taxpayer dollars reflect our values, and I urge everyone in our state to come together to fight for our rights, for our vision and for the people who depend on us,” Eldridge said.

State Rep. Juana Matias, who represents the 16th Essex District of Massachusetts and co-sponsored the bill with Eldridge, denounced Trump’s immigration orders at the rally.

“We should not allow xenophobia, racism, anti-immigrant sentiment to become the norm of our society,” Matias said. “The Trump administration’s actions tear at the very fabric of what makes America great.”

State Rep. Linda Dorcena Forry, who represents the First Suffolk District of Massachusetts, said “fear is not an option” for immigrants living in Massachusetts.

“We are standing with our immigrant brothers and sisters,” Forry said. “We are standing with our family and friends, with our professors and our scientists who got turned away from our airports in this country. We are standing together with our Muslim brothers and sisters and saying, ‘We do not support a religious ban.’”

Several protesters said they came to the rally because they had a personal connection to the cause.

Alexandra Cerda, 31, of Revere, said her parents are immigrants who met in the United States.

“We have to get back to the American dream,” Cerda said. “We have to see what’s causing [inequality], instead of looking at different religions or having a different ethnic background.”

Salwa Galal, 31, of Malden, said her husband is a green card holder, and she fears he could be affected.

“This is home,” Galal said. “ … If he wants to go home, [he might] not be able to come back.”