Softball, Sports

Younan leads potent softball offense, pitching remains uncertain

As MLB Spring Training begins in Florida and Arizona within the next week, Boston University softball will also travel to the Sunshine State to begin its 2017 regular season campaign with sights on defending its conference title.

In her first season at the helm, BU head coach Ashley Waters led the Terriers to the 2016 Patriot League Championship as well as qualifying for an appearance at the NCAA Division I Softball Championship, losing in the Regionals round in Lafayette, Louisiana.

“As the year went, we continued to progress,” Waters said. “I think our team did a really great job of sticking together and never quitting.”

The Terriers roster includes three freshman, five sophomores, six juniors and six seniors, including eight of last season’s regular starters.

Senior shortstop and unanimous Patriot League All-Conference First Team member Brittany Younan, who batted a team-best .379 last season, leads a high-powered Terriers offense. Senior outfielder Moriah Connolly (.355), junior outfielders Emma Wong (.316) and Jilee Schanda (.303) and sophomore infielder Emily Morrow (.307) are all coming off solid offensive years in which they tallied over 40 hits.

“I think our offensive lineup is great … we have a lot of explosiveness. A lot of power, a lot of contact hitters and different things we can mix within our offense,” Waters said.

In addition to batting average, Younan led the Terriers in RBIs and total bases while stealing seven bases.

Connolly, a 2016 Patriot League All-Tournament performer returns as the top base-stealing threat for the Terriers, as the Dunedin, Florida native swiped 28 bases in 32 attempts last season.

Wong, who joined Younan on the All-Conference First Team, had a solid season as a sophomore, as she placed third on the team in RBI and second in walks while just striking out 13 times in 158 at-bats.

Catchers/designated hitters Alex Heinen and Gabi Martinez will be relied on for power.

Heinen, a sophomore, paced the Terriers with nine doubles and belted three home runs.

“I think Alex has obviously tons of potential and freshman year you’re learning a lot, you’re figuring things out and I think she’ll be on point this year and she’s already looking better and better with every practice and every at bat,” Waters said.

Martinez smacked a team-high four home runs along with seven doubles in her junior campaign.

“Gabi’s going to have a standout year,” said Waters. “I think Gabi’s one of those people that gets better as she goes. As her senior year and final campaign, I really think she’s going to do some damage.”

BU finished second in batting average and third in earned run average in the Patriot League a season ago, while leading the conference with a .970 fielding percentage.

Where the Terriers will feel losses, though, is in their pitching, as Lauren Hynes and Melanie Russell, who combined to start 47 of the Terriers 52 games during their senior campaigns and ate up over 290 innings, have graduated.

Returning pitchers senior Makinna Akers and junior Sydni Overly appeared in 16 and eight games respectively, with Overly making four starts.

“Makinna has done a great job as a senior in that leadership role and bringing younger pitchers along,” Waters said. “My expectation for her is to figure out how to be a number one. She has a great drop ball and if she gets it moving consistently she’ll have some great outcomes.”

Incoming freshman Kali Magane, a Wrentham native, and Lizzie Annerino will also be relied on to pitch.

“They’ll definitely both see time. They’ve come a long way from the fall,” Waters said.

The Terriers will travel to Boca Raton, Florida for the Florida Atlantic University tournament to open their season and will have five games over the course of three days. BU will face Michigan State University, the University of North Florida, Troy University and Bethune-Cookman University (twice) over the weekend.

Prior to beginning their Northeast schedule, the Terriers are set to play 18 games between the Madeira Beach Tournament, the San Diego Classic, Long Beach State Tournament and the Louisville Slugger Invitational.

“I have high expectations always,” Waters said. “Of course I want to go into every game, thinking that we are going to have some ups and downs but that we will battle and figure out what to do. It’s a matter of putting everything together.”

The Terriers will play host to the Bulldogs of Bryant University in a doubleheader on March 22 to begin their Northeast schedule.