Court rules against extending ACLU restraining order

After a week of legal proceedings, a Federal District Court in Massachusetts ruled not to extend the seven-day restraining order prohibiting the government from relying on President Donald Trump’s travel ban in order to detain anyone otherwise legally allowed in the United States, according to a Feb. 3 press release from the American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts.

Jan. 28:

Two legal U.S. residents were unlawfully detained at Boston Logan International Airport.

The residents, both Muslim professors at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, were detained upon arrival at Logan based on “information and belief,” according to a Jan. 28 press release from the ACLU of Massachusetts.

The ACLU of Massachusetts, along with Massachusetts immigration lawyers, filed suit in Federal District Court in Massachusetts to have the residents release that night, according to the release.

Jan. 29:

The Federal District Court issued a temporary restraining order on as a result of the lawsuit. The order is set to last for seven days.

Jan. 31:

Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey filed a motion to join the case on behalf of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

“We stand here and with others across this state as a unified Massachusetts community … all working together to reject this discriminatory and dangerous measure,” Healey said during a conference. “It’s this solidarity that makes us strong.”

Feb. 3:

During a hearing at the John Joseph Moakley United States Courthouse in Boston on the status of the restraining order, the court decided to let the restraining order expire, instead of extending it, according to a Feb. 3 press release from the ACLU of Massachusetts.

Feb. 6:

The seven-day order remained in effect until Feb. 6 at 11:59 p.m. Although it was issued on a Sunday, the restraining order remained in effect through Monday because “if the last day is a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, the period continues to run until the end of the next day that is not a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday,” according to a press release from the ACLU of Massachusetts.