Men’s basketball wins third straight against Loyola

Eric Fanning led all BU players with 23 points on Saturday. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Tenacious defense and offensive efficiency propelled the Boston University men’s basketball team past Loyola University Maryland on Saturday afternoon, 78-63.

The Terriers (15-11, 10-4 Patriot League) won their third straight game, while the Greyhounds (13-12, 7-7 Patriot League) dropped their second straight.

BU head coach Joe Jones did not think his team played perfectly, rather they just did enough to win.

“I didn’t think we played great,” Jones said. “I thought we did what we needed to do to win the game. I thought we had better balance, three guys in double figures and another with nine.”

Today’s win was significant for BU, as it was able to avenge the eight-point loss from last month. The Terriers put intense pressure on the Greyhounds, as their zone defense forced 20 turnovers, leading to 20 points.

“When we play zone, we tend to give up too many easy ones, but our field goal percentage defense was pretty good,” Jones said. “I’m pleased with the defensive effort overall.”

On the other end of the floor, senior guard Eric Fanning fueled the Terriers’ offensive attack, putting up an impressive 23 points, six rebounds and four assists, while shooting 50 percent from the field.

According to Jones, Fanning’s development on both ends of the floor is making him one of the most potent weapons in the league.

“He’s getting to be more of a complete player,” Jones said. “When he plays his game, when he’s on top of his game, there’s no better offensive player in the league. The thing is, can he become a more complete player for us, and he was able to do some things today to help us other than scoring.”

Despite leading 36-27 at halftime, Jones was unhappy with the team’s sloppy offensive play and lack of intensity during the first half. BU committed eight first-half turnovers, preventing it from opening up a much greater lead.

“I need to get these guys more prepared to start games and we have to learn how to take care of the ball better,” Jones said. “We were sloppy during a good portion of the game. There are good things happening, we just have to learn how to take care of the ball better.”

After yielding 35 points, including 9 3-pointers, to Loyola guard Andre Walker during the two teams’ last meeting, one of the Terriers’ primary goals coming in was to limit his effectiveness. BU’s defensive pressure limited Walker to only 16 points, many of which came in garbage time.

“Walker was one-for-five from three, and that’s the big difference right there,” Jones said. “I thought we did a good job on him.”

Sophomore guard Kyle Foreman came up big off the bench for the Terriers on both ends of the floor, contributing 10 points, three steals and three assists. BU’s bench outscored Loyola’s 19-6.

“Our bench has been a huge key,” Jones said. “When our guys play up to their capabilities, I think we have the best bench in the league.”

In addition to strong bench play, senior forward Justin Alston tallied 17 points and four rebounds, providing a strong presence in the post and showcasing his ability to alter shots on defense.

“Justin has been giving us that inside-outside punch, which has been productive for us,” Jones said.

Jones spoke highest of junior guard Cedric Hankerson, whose mastery of the intangibles and hustle on both defense and offense provides a huge spark for the team.

“We don’t win games without Cedric Hankerson on the court,” Jones said. “No one knows that more than I do, and I appreciate how hard this kid is playing for us. He’s not worried about anything other than helping us win, and that’s why I love that kid.”