Softball, Sports

Softball splits games at FAU Kick-Off Classic

Emily Morrow hit her first collegiate home run in BU’s win over North Florida. PHOTO BY SOFIA FARENTINOS/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The Boston University softball team began its season in the Sunshine State, competing in the Florida Atlantic University Kick-Off Classic.

However, the Terriers (2-2) weren’t able to fully escape the snowstorm that eclipsed New England.

The team was originally scheduled to start the season on Friday morning, but due to flight delays, BU was not able to get down to Florida until early Friday. As a result, its first game was rescheduled for Friday night against the host team, No. 23 FAU.

In a dramatic comeback, BU knocked off FAU (4-2) by a score of 3-1, its first win over a ranked opponent since 2012.

This came off the strength of a four inning, two hit and three strikeout pitching performance by senior Makinna Akers. Akers relieved junior Sydni Overly, who pitched three innings while surrendering one run on three hits and struck out five.

BU scored all three runs in the top of the seventh inning, with an RBI credited to both junior infielder Kaitlin Sahlinger and senior outfielder Rachel Levine. All three of the Terriers’ runs were unearned.

BU head coach Ashley Waters was proud of her team’s effort after dealing with the constraints of travel.

“We had a tough travel day, these girls were excited to play, and the adrenaline helped,” Waters said. “They are ranked for a reason; they are a good team”

In the second game, the Terriers beat the University of North Florida Ospreys (2-3) by a score of 1-0. The lone run came on sophomore infielder Emily Morrow’s first collegiate home run.

In her collegiate debut, freshman Kali Magane threw a complete game shutout, allowing three hits and striking out four.

Coach Waters was excited about Magane’s future following the stellar performance.

“It was an exciting first win,” said Waters. “Shutouts are exciting and everyone is excited to get their first win. This team beat FAU the night before and she had an awesome performance. This shows that she has a bright future ahead of her.”

The Terriers dropped their third game to the Bethune-Cookman Wildcats by a score of 5-1. The lone run for the Terriers was scored off a RBI single by sophomore infielder Alexa Ponce in the third inning.

Overly was pulled after one and a third innings pitched and was relieved by Akers, who pitched four and a third innings while surrounding three earned runs (five runs overall), on five hits.

The Wildcats’ (1-4) freshman outfielder Ryan Jackson picked up her first hit of her college career, which came on a home run. The winning pitcher for the Wildcats was freshman Mariah Estrada. It was her second appearance and her first win.

In their fourth and final game of the opening tournament, the Terriers fell to North Carolina State Wolfpack by a score of 9-6.

The wheels came off for the Terriers during a seven run third inning by NC State (2-3). Overly started the game for BU and lasted two innings while giving up three hits and three runs. She took her first loss of the season.

Senior outfielder Moriah Connolly played second base while picking up an RBI for the Terriers. Freshman outfielder Olivia Francomano picked up her first career RBI. For NC State, freshman Peyton Silverman picked up the win, which was the first win of her career. Picking up the save for NC State was Harli Hubbard who recorded her first save of the season.

Waters was overall pleased with the start to her team’s season.

“They did a great job, this was obviously our first time on dirt and we had four really good opponents,” said Waters. “We do have something to work on. It was a good way to start season.”