Between the Lines: When sports and politics collide

Golden State Warriors coach Steve Kerr has been an outspoken critic of President Donald Trump in the media. PHOTO COURTESY WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

Regardless of one’s beliefs, it is easy to say that this is an unprecedented time in politics. Over the last year or so, there has been political tension lurking over America, and its culmination: Nov. 8, 2016.

From that day forward, the country entered a realm of all-encompassing politicization. Both sides of the political spectrum are spinning non-political issues into partisan talking points. Whether it’s politicians, celebrities, athletes or people firing off Twitter rants, politics, if not explicitly discussed, is the undercurrent of society’s modern discourse.

Sports and politics are two of the most polarizing topics you can find. Just like politics, to some, sports are everything. Those who care deeply about sports either align themselves with a “team,” while a select few can just enjoy the beauty of how the game is played, most draw a hard line between love and hate.

Many athletes are choosing to let their political beliefs and feelings known. After the New England Patriots won Super Bowl LI, six players said they will not be making the trip to the White House later this year. Earlier in the season, Colin Kaepernick was the topic of discussion for weeks after choosing not to stand for the national anthem in solidarity with the African-American community.

Golden State Warriors’ head coach Steve Kerr has seemingly discussed politics with reporters more frequently than basketball. Steph Curry even went as far as to call President Donald Trump an ass, but while most of these outspoken athletes are critical of the current administration, let us not forget there was a “Make America Great Again” hat in Tom Brady’s locker.

It does seem ironic for some to call for the silence of celebrities and athletes on political issues when our president, a reality TV star, just months ago was a celebrity and not a politician. For better or for worse, they are all entitled to their own feelings and we shouldn’t hold this against them.

Take a look at Curt Schilling, who many believe is an unequivocal Hall of Fame baseball player; he can’t seem to get enough votes largely because of his outspoken far-right viewpoints. If we used this logic throughout sports history many great players would not receive recognition for their on-field accomplishments.

The time for fans to separate politics and sports is here. Yes, this is the responsibility of fans, not players and coaches. You can like a player for their play on the field and still not agree with them politically. This requires fans to see the athlete and the person in different lights.

This, of course, is not ideal, as some of the sport’s greatest athletes were also great political voices. Whether it is Muhammad Ali, Jackie Robinson or Billie Jean King, athletes have historically used their platforms as great athletes to advocate for change.

Athletes as a collective are often criticized whether they choose to voice their opinions or not, so for those who choose to do so, we must let them. They are prominent cultural figures and just as any other person believes in their right to voice their beliefs, athletes should feel empowered to let their voices be heard.

Sports are unique as they have the ability to unite people across political barriers. Moments like President George W. Bush throwing out the first pitch at Yankee Stadium after 9/11 or the response to the Boston marathon bombing at Fenway Park show how sports can help unite the country after times of tragedy and division. During these times, we forgo our animosity toward the rival team or party to unite as a country. This is sports at its best.

This is not the beginning of sports politicization, nor will it be the end, so the idea that athletes should “stick to sports” is one that not only won’t happen but should never happen. We all need sports, now more than ever and with our country’s political fire fuming, sports should be here to help extinguish the fire, not fan the flames.

1. This article hits it right on the nose. Sports and politics will always share the best and worse as they are anchored to American values with winning and losing being the key.