7th Inning Stretch: Who is the face of Major League Baseball?

Mike Trout is clearly the best young player in baseball, but does he want to embrace the celebrity role that comes with being the face of the game? PHOTO COURTESY KEITH ALLISON/ FLICKR

With a new baseball season underway, it seems the sports world has returned to its annual debate: who is the face of Major League Baseball?

LeBron James and Stephen Curry own basketball. Tom Brady epitomizes football. But what about America’s favorite pastime? With legends like Derek Jeter and David Ortiz retired, the answer is not so simple.

Before I add my voice to this cacophonous debate, allow me to address one argument currently out there, from our friends over at ESPN.

Last week, ESPN’s Jayson Stark made his case, contending that baseball remains faceless. With the help of polling data and expert opinions, Stark lays out what he believes to be an identity crisis for the MLB. Though he made some compelling points, I take issue with much of Stark’s column.

His piece confronts the question, “Could any baseball player be LeBron?” But by framing the discussion in this way, we are setting ourselves up for failure. Baseball and basketball are fundamentally different sports with vastly disparate team dynamics, fan bases and markets.

Apples and oranges, really. Please — cut it out with that “LeBron of baseball” nonsense.

OK, you may be thinking, who is the face of baseball, then?

While numerous players would be acceptable answers, I would have a hard time getting behind anyone other than Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim outfielder Mike Trout. Honestly, it’s not even close.

At only 25, Trout finds himself on a truly historic route. His resume baffles. In his five full seasons, Trout’s trophy case includes Rookie of the Year, two MVPs and five Silver Sluggers. The three years he didn’t win MVP? He finished second. Oh, and he also has been an All-Star all five seasons.

If Trout stays on this remarkable pace, or close to it, for the next 10 or so seasons, we could be talking about one of the greatest to ever play the game. I don’t say that lightly.

Clearly, one cannot question Trout’s talent. Add a charming smile, clean record and easygoing personality, what could be missing? To Stark, two issues remain: Trout has never won a playoff game, and unlike LeBron, he seems to have no interest in taking on the role as the face of his sport.

First of all, one cannot blame Trout for his lack of playoff success. As just one player on a 25-man roster, and one out of nine who take the field every night, Trout’s ability to carry his entire team should not be compared to LeBron’s. If James drops 50 points in a game, his team will almost surely win. But even if Trout hits four home runs, an Angels pitcher could give up a five-spot, and it’s game over. So do not blame Trout for the fact that year after year, the Angels fail to surround him with adequate talent. Again, apples and oranges.

Second, to me, Trout’s humility ought to be applauded. Rather than exude arrogance and self-importance like King James, Trout goes about his business quietly and without egotism. He possesses otherworldly talent on the field, and acts like a gentleman off it. I would rather have children looking up to a quiet mensch like Trout than a conceited celebrity like James. Just because a player doesn’t seek the spotlight does not mean they don’t deserve to be in it.

Still hesitant to rally behind the reticent Trout? No problem. Contrary to what some may say, baseball is a cornucopia of young and exciting stars. Mookie Betts. Kris Bryant. Francisco Lindor. Jose Altuve. Corey Seager. Bryce Harper. Manny Machado. I could keep going, but I think I’ve made my point. For the first time in a long time, a new generation of talent has taken the MLB by storm. It’s a good time to be a baseball fan.

So no matter who you pick, the wave of budding superstars is refreshing and promising. Yes, uniting behind one single player could help the MLB’s marketing and public relations departments. But, can we really expect that to happen? Even in the NBA, consensus in the LeBron vs. Curry debate has not been reached. And why should it? Sparking interest and discussion only helps the sport and its players. It’s not like a league would come out and declare one particular player as its favorite, anyway.

To all the sports pundits and personalities out there, I say this: Let’s appreciate and celebrate the amazing group of ambassadors and stars baseball does have, rather than whine over the lack of a clear frontrunner. The MLB has been blessed with incredible talent. Treasure it.

As for Mr. Stark, if you keep looking for a LeBron of baseball, I am afraid you’ll be sorely disappointed. Not to mention, you’ll miss the extraordinary dominance of future Hall of Famer Mike Trout.