BU to merge with Wheelock College

Boston University and Boston-based Wheelock College have begun formal discussions about merging the two schools, according to BU spokesperson Colin Riley.

Both schools have issued statements regarding the merger and how they anticipate it will be mutually beneficial.

“We believe the merger will lead to enhancement of our programs, while also maintaining the exemplary mission of Wheelock College,” BU President Robert Brown wrote in an email to students.

News of the merger comes after Wheelock College, which has been in financial trouble, put many of its properties on the market earlier this summer, according to The Boston Globe.

In an email to Wheelock students, President David Chard wrote that they expect Wheelock’s student body of about 1,000 to eventually be absorbed into BU’s.

“With this merger, students would have the strongest aspects of a Wheelock and a Boston University educational experience available,” Chard’s email stated. “WCEHD’s students would be part of the Boston University student body and would have access to all the educational and co-curricular opportunities as other Boston University students.”

Riley said most details of the merger have yet to be worked out, but more information will be available in the coming months.

Campus News Editor Fall '17