Business & Tech, Features

Newbury Street League celebrates 45 years with Boston community

The 45th Newbury Street League Anniversary at the SPACES office Sept. 28 showcased local businesses. PHOTO BY PAIGE WARD/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Thirty years ago, Roberta Masciarelli’s father worked tirelessly to start her family’s business. At the time, he didn’t have the aid of a community to help with the promotion of his business.

When her father was battling cancer, Masciarelli, the current president and CFO at Masciarelli Wine, and her husband decided to take over her family’s business. During their transition, the Newbury Street League helped the Masciarellis promote their product and amass publicity.

“My father always used to say, ‘Don’t disrespect the name,’ when I was a kid,” Masciarelli said. “Now, as an adult, I say the same.”

Sometimes referred to as Boston’s Fifth Avenue, Newbury Street is one of the city’s most iconic hubs of retail and commerce. The Newbury Street League, a coalition of Newbury Street businesses, celebrated its 45th anniversary on Thursday at a penthouse located on Newbury Street.

Founded in 1972, the league is a nonprofit organization that represents the interests of the 350-member businesses located on Newbury Street and in the Back Bay area. The league works to keep up the streets the businesses are on and promote the local business as well, according to the league’s website.

Catered and sponsored by the league’s members, the celebration featured drinks provided by Masciarelli Wine Company, authentic Indian cuisine from Kashmir, French dishes from La Voile Brasserie and more.

Michele Messino, executive director of the Newbury Street League, sees the partnership and dependence of the businesses on one another as the fuel of the league.

“The businesses know and understand the importance of donating,” Messino said. “[The 45th anniversary event] is a great opportunity to donate because their product is right there in front of our guests.”

By partnering with the Newbury Street League, businesses gain publicity not via events but also through efforts the league makes to market and advertise their member businesses.

“We are not a mall,” Messino said. “Therefore, we need someone to keep the street in the front of people’s mind.”

The 45th Newbury Street League Anniversary was ’70s-themed. PHOTO BY PAIGE WARD/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The efforts to advertise have sustained Newbury as the high-traffic tourist destination it is today, one of the main draws for businesses participating in the league. Jacadi, a French children’s clothing store, made the move from Boylston Street to Newbury within the last few years.

“Boylston just didn’t get us the business we needed,” said Christina Stratton, sales supervisor at Jacadi. “Newbury has helped us significantly with traffic. There are always tourists coming by.”

Businesses with narrower audiences, like the aforementioned Jacadi or LunchDates — a matchmaking service — benefit from the inviting layout and name recognition of Newbury.

In an effort to provide the businesses with even more traffic, Messino and volunteers at the Newbury Street League are currently working on developing a map and guide to make Newbury Street more accessible to visitors.

Messino said the league’s mission is two-fold. Not only do they work to provide the businesses with a public voice but they also aim to maintain the street and community itself.

“We want to unify Newbury Street,” Messino said. “There are all kinds of issues that need to be constantly maintained … replacing lamp posts, fixing sidewalks or whatever may need to be done.”

The Newbury Street League works with companies and businesses of all sizes, but it is often independent and family-owned businesses that report the greatest benefit from a community like the league.

Laura Graziano, principal owner at Laura Graziano Staging and Interiors, said the community built by organizations like the league is essential to conducting business.

Graziano said, “[The key to business] is to find something you truly love and to find a strong support system.”