7th Inning Stretch: Farewell, Farrell

Brad Ausmus is considered to be one of the candidates to manage thte Red Sox. PHOTO BY WIKICOMMONS

A World Series championship. Three division titles in five years, including two in a row. Sixth all-time in games managed and wins. Consecutive 93-win seasons.

Does this sound like the resume of a manager who just got fired?

Apparently. As John Farrell learned the hard way last Wednesday, Boston sports can be ruthless.

Last Monday, the Boston Red Sox were eliminated from the playoffs by a juggernaut Houston Astros team, and fans, reporters, and players alike wondered if the Sox skipper would return for a sixth season.

Early Wednesday morning, that question was answered. John Farrell had been fired.

When Red Sox President of Baseball Operations Dave Dombrowski addressed the media that morning, he offered so many non-answers that one may wonder if he has a future in politics.

“At this point, sometimes change can be better, and that’s why we decided to move forward with the change,” Dombrowski said. “You weigh a lot of different things that become involved … I thought it was the appropriate time to make a change for the betterment of the organization moving forward.”

Dombrowski did divulge that Farrell was not fired because of the playoff series loss, and that no number of regular season wins could’ve prevented it.

Essentially, Farrell was gone no matter what.

In the week since the firing, many have attempted to explain Dombrowski’s decision. To me, three main factors are at play.

First, and most simply: Farrell was never Dombrowski’s guy.

When Dombrowski arrived in Boston in August 2015, he inherited a team with a beloved manager. Farrell had come in after the 2012 disaster of Bobby Valentine, and won a championship in the magical 2013 season, his first season as Sox manager. Farrell was there to stay, whether Dombrowski liked it or not.

Now, after more than two full years running the Sox, Dombrowski was ready to find his own manager. He and Farrell had a tepid professional relationship, and after consecutive disappointing finishes, he showed Farrell, a Ben Cherington hire, the Fenway door.

A second, and more obvious, reason for Farrell’s axing was that he lost his clubhouse.

Between the Apple Watch cheating scandal, David Price’s altercation with NESN’s Dennis Eckersley, and the mishandled feud with the Baltimore Orioles and Manny Machado, numerous instances occurred throughout the season that required strong leadership. Instead of owning up to the gaffes, chastising his players, or reestablishing order in the clubhouse, Farrell dismissed blame and pleaded ignorance.

As the manager of a big-market team in a media-oriented city like Boston, that’s not good enough. Of course, it is impossible to know exactly what transpired when the clubhouse doors closed; Farrell could have held team meetings and yelled at his players. But considering all three cases proceeded unresolved, it is clear that a strong voice of reason was missing from the 2017 Red Sox.

Finally, and most importantly, Farrell failed to get the most out of his players. While an intangible leadership quality, keeping players motivated and at their best is perhaps the most important role of a manager.

An alarming number of Sox players regressed in 2017. Mookie Betts, Jackie Bradley, Hanley Ramirez and Xander Bogaerts all saw their numbers slip, from 2016. In the rotation, 2016 Cy Young Award winner Rick Porcello led baseball in losses.

This is simply unacceptable. When the majority of the team’s core takes a massive step backward in one season, it is indicative of larger organizational issues. They didn’t just forget how to play baseball.

So “Manager John” is out. Dombrowski likely should’ve let Farrell go following the 2016 season, with bench coach and once interim manager Torey Lovullo available as an obvious replacement. Instead, Dombrowski gave Farrell another chance, and Lovullo left for Arizona, where he may win Manager of the Year after leading the Diamondbacks to the playoffs.

So who should replace Farrell?

Let’s assess the candidates, shall we?

Brad Ausmus, whom Dombrowski hired in Detroit, is a safe pick. He’s young, experienced and has relationships with Dombrowski, the problematic Price, and free agent and potential Sox target J.D. Martinez. He has New England roots, and would connect with younger players through his utilization of analytics. Ausmus had been in consideration for the position back in the 2012 offseason, but the Sox chose Farrell. He remains a solid choice, and Boston supposedly interviewed him on Monday.

Next is Ron Gardenhire, who managed the Minnesota Twins from 2002-14. He’s older than Farrell (59 compared to 55) — but is well-respected, and has had a successful managerial career. To me, it’s pretty simple. Gardenhire is old, has no connection to Boston, and shouldn’t be picked over the other two. Nevertheless, Dombrowski will interview him.

This brings us to Alex Cora — the apparent favorite for the job.

Cora, 42, played for Boston from 2005-08, and is regarded as an excellent communicator and an analytics master. Cora is obviously familiar with the Sox (he played with, and mentored, Dustin Pedroia), and Farrell’s greatest weakness — communicating with and motivating players — seems to be Cora’s greatest strength.

He would connect easily with the Sox’s young core, and would be loved by fans. To me, and most Boston media, Cora is the clear favorite.

What’s next for our friend John? He’s an excellent baseball mind, and will undoubtedly land elsewhere, whether next week or further down the line. I expect that Farrell will take at least a year off. Managing in Boston is not an easy job, and after five seasons of highly-scrutinized, high-stress work, he deserves a vacation.

Farrell gave his all to the Sox, and fans must appreciate what he has done for this city and franchise. He led the team to a championship, stayed calm under pressure, and put up with an incredible amount of hate from fans, all while battling cancer and going through a divorce. You’ve got to applaud him.

That being said, it’s time for a change. The team is growing younger, and the Sox need a manager who connects with players, and gets the most out of them throughout a long and arduous season. Many, myself included, believe Cora is that man. We shall see.

So while I’m sad to see Farrell go, Dombrowski made the right call. It’s time for a fresh start.