Men’s basketball looks to get back on track, travel to Navy on Saturday

The Terriers will travel to Navy on Saturday. PHOTO BY MADDIE MALHOTRA/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

After a tough 69-58 loss at home to American University, the Boston University men’s basketball team will set its sights on the United States Naval Academy this Saturday.

Throughout Wednesday’s matchup, the Terriers (9-9, 5-2 Patriot League) were dominated by the underdog Eagles (5-13, 2-5 Patriot League).

With the score tied at 41 with 10:42 to play in the second half, American guard Sa’eed Nelson drained a quick three to give the Eagles a three-point lead. After this point, American never relinquished their lead, and came out victorious.

Despite the losing effort Wednesday night, the Terriers were led by another outstanding effort from senior guard Cedric Hankerson. He scored 14 points on 5-11 shooting, and also contributed with seven rebounds and four assists.

With the young core of talent that BU boasts, headlined by three underclassmen in the starting lineup, the squad seemed to be in dire need of a true leader early on in the season. Now, as the team has entered the thick of Patriot League play, Hankerson has taken the team under his wing.

“Since day one he’s been a hard worker,” Terriers’ head coach Joe Jones. said “He’s been a great teammate, he’s been so coachable … We’ve been fortunate to have him.”

However, as Jones pointed out, Hankerson’s contributions on the court only represent a microcosm of what he brings to the team — his true value stems from what he means to the program and school off the court.

“He’s also someone that epitomizes what is means to be a student athlete,” Jones said. “He’s got a lot out of it because he’s put a lot into it.”

Hankerson has already earned one master’s degree from BU, and is currently working toward a second, a testament to his work ethic and dedication.

With Wednesday’s game now in the rearview mirror, the Terriers will look to improve in several key areas heading into their matchup with Navy (13-7, 4-3 Patriot League).

The Midshipmen currently lead the conference in scoring defense, limiting their opponents to 67.2 points per game.

While senior guard Bryce Dulin is averaging the second-most points for the Navy with 11.3 per game, he registered 20 points in the Midshipmen’s 75-72 win at Lafayette College, including a three-point buzzer-beater to push the Navy ahead.

However, Jones said he has been pleased to see his team progress in some areas it was lacking in this season.

“Overall, we’ve seen some progress,” Jones said. “Our three point shooting defense has improved, as has our ability not to foul … We’re leading the league in offensive field goal percentage.”

When looking at his roster, Jones emphasized his belief that his team can be very competitive moving forward, it just needs to mature a bit.

To Jones, this all comes down to the Terriers’ ability to limit turnovers and run the offense with confidence, poise and precision.

“We have to have a better understanding of what to look for within our offense,” Jones said. “We’ve got to be stronger with the ball.”

If BU’s young core can grow and develop in the way Jones believes they can, the team will be in a prime position to compete in the Patriot League and beyond.

“It’s our job as a staff to continue to improve, and understand there’s going to be some setbacks,” Jones said. “There’s such a huge upside with this team, probably more than I’ve ever had because we have so many young players that are still learning and developing.”