Women’s basketball’s Nia Irving coming into her own

The Terriers will look to reverse a trend as Patriot League play continues. PHOTO BY JOHN KAVOURIS/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

As a freshman, forward Nia Irving certainly showed flashes of her true potential. This season, after a slow start, the sophomore from Fairfield, Maine has become one of Boston University women’s basketball’s most reliable options in the starting lineup and off the bench.

After reaching double figures only once during the Terriers’ (8-9, 3-4 Patriot League) first five games of the 2017-18 season, Irving heated up in BU’s 78-61 win over Bryant University on Nov. 29.

The 6-foot-1-inch forward registered 16 points, seven rebounds and a season-high three assists in the 17-point win for the Terriers.

After a double-double against the University of Vermont, Irving was inserted into the starting lineup by BU head coach Katy Steding.

“Nia [Irving] is a very good one-on-one player,” Steding said. “She is very tough to defend because she is able to go by someone who is bigger than her and she can shoot over or post up someone who is smaller.”

Irving made Steding’s decision pay off tenfold, specifically in the Terriers’ narrow 60-59 win over the United States Military Academy. She posted season highs in points and rebounds, with 22 and 14, respectively.

“She is very aggressive offensively and creative,” Steding said. “We try and take advantage of our offensive spacing so she can work on her shot.”

Terriers looking to string together conference wins

Since conference play began on Dec. 29, BU has alternated wins and losses, most recently failing at a chance to break that streak after falling to the College of the Holy Cross, 60-57.

Steding said she’s addressed this pattern with her team on a number of occasions, and can pinpoint some of the things her players need to do to help break the trend.

“[We need to be] making sure we secure the rebounds at the right time and continuing to hammer home the importance of boxing out on every possession,” Steding said. “We also need to make sure we are not taking any rushed shots. We need to be more patient offensively.”   

BU began the season with alternating wins and losses before winning three straight. The Terriers followed that up with a three-game loss streak.

BU is currently fifth in Patriot League standings, and its next two games could dictate whether or not it can string together some wins and move up in the conference.

However, that may be difficult as the Terriers fell to American University Wednesday night and are scheduled to face the United States Naval Academy, who sits at second place in league standings.

Freshman Katie Nelson a key distributor

Ball movement is an important factor in any effective offense, and no one is better than freshman guard Katie Nelson, for not just the Terriers, but the entire Patriot League.

In her first collegiate season, Nelson has been a vital part of BU’s offense, ranking second in scoring for the Terriers along with her leading number of assists.

“She has a creativity to her game like Nia Irving,” Steding said. “It is important for her to be able to operate in space, where she can draw defenders and find teammates.”

Nelson is averaging 4.12 assists over 17 games, and that average is the highest in the Patriot League while her total assists (70) are third only to junior guard Emily Kinneston of American University, who has 72, and senior guard Hannah Fenske, who has 71.

Nelson’s career high for assists in one game is eight, a feat she has accomplished on two occasions — first in her inaugural game for BU against Northeastern University, and for a second time against Army (9-9, 2-5 Patriot League).

The Falmouth native is also averaging 10.3 points per game and has the highest three-point field goal percentage on the team (.410).

“She is a really good scorer for us too,” Steding said. “I’ve encouraged her to take a little bit more of an active role and score first. That’s not being selfish. That is making the defense adjust to her game.”