REVIEW: ‘Alpha Class’ an inside look at dark side of fraternity culture

A still from the documentary “Alpha Class.” PHOTO COURTESY JOSEPH FORTE JR

“Alpha Class” is a documentary narrated and filmed by fraternity brother Danny McManus about his experience with Greek life at Arizona State University.

The documentary follows daily life within ASU’s Phi Kappa Psi fraternity, which was later revamped as Phi Sigma Kappa due to expulsion from campus. The film features footage of real events in addition to reenactments. The narrator conducts individual interviews with many of the brothers.

McManus successfully compiles footage from a span of several years in the low-budget film. However, stylistic choices are where any redeeming qualities end.

The documentary begins with a close-up shot of one of the fraternity brothers on the phone with an unknown caller. The voice, distorted for legal purposes, asks, “did you participate in or witness wall sits, lineups, cold showers, threatening of branding, static room incidents or things of that nature?”

The camera zooms in on the brother’s face as he stares directly into the camera. His eye twitches and he nervously touches his upper lift. There’s a pause after the question, and when the brother opens his mouth to speak, and closes it again quickly.

This scene sets the mood for an entirely different documentary than what is to follow, one that brings to light the lies within a dangerous Greek system. However, the film only ends up following several teenagers binge-drinking and having sex.

Both the introductory scene in the film and the description imply a deeper meaning that is simply not there. In an email to The Daily Free Press, producer and fraternity brother Joe Forte wrote, “We have taken the opportunity to explore both the positives and the negatives of Greek life.”

However, because the film is produced by brothers about their own fraternity, there’s really only one side.

For a considerable portion of the film, the director shows the hazing process, including footage and reenactments of everything from keg stands and egging to “Hell Week,” a week without sleep, showers or outside contact. The brothers are forced to drink vinegar and throw up on one another. The film succeeds in letting the audience “look behind the closed doors of the fraternity world.”

There are few documentaries that truly show fraternity life from the inside and are willing to portray the culture openly. However, it may be for good reason, because a lot of the “frat culture” shown is disrespectful and, at times, downright despicable.

This film claims to look at the “negative” sides of Greek life, but the narrator and brothers never discuss the wrongs or criticize themselves outright.

After the fall of the original fraternity, Phi Psi, due to hazing accusations, brothers showed no regret in interviews. One of the pledge class brothers who experienced the brutal hazing even said, “[Hazing] really only made me want to be a part of the organization more.”

With the removal of Phi Psi, the remaining brothers sought a new fraternity and eventually brought Phi Sigma Kappa to ASU. The film doesn’t show any discussion about changing hazing rituals.

That is, until the brothers are again under fire with the Interfraternity Council, the other side of the phone call in the intro scene. Another phone call is filmed between the IFC and fraternity brother Bobby Meyer. In the conversation, he says that hazing has been banned entirely from Phi Kappa Sigma, though it’s unclear if this is true or not.

Not only does “Alpha Class” portray a one-sided look at fraternity life, but it’s also truly offensive to watch from any viewpoint besides that of a straight white male. Numerous scenes show sexual harassment of women, disrespectful remarks regarding the LGBT community and incredibly insensitive comments about people from other countries — at one point, a fraternity brother talks about his ability to do a keg stand as “liberating, like how the people in the Middle East must feel.”

And although it could be argued that this documentary is meant to show real “fraternity life” and nothing more, these comments are never apologized for or recognized as unacceptable.

The undying devotion to fraternity life makes an objective documentary impossible. Although the film was set up to question the brothers’ choices, the directors and producers were unable to move past their devotion to partying and the “college experience.”

After an ASU party goes wrong and turns into a fight in the streets, fraternity brother Mike, last name not provided, is stabbed. After being rushed to the hospital and, according to a news report, “almost dying,” he remains devoted to the fraternity experience.

“I didn’t want to go on the news and say, ‘Yeah, I got stabbed.’ That would just kill Greek life.”

1. Terrible review. You put race into it when no one was thinking about race! Always blame white people. Truly racist of you! The article should be taken down! It’s offnesive—-signed Mexican brother