Women’s soccer falls to West Virginia; conference play looms

Tri-captain Dorrie Varley-Barrett has started in all nine games this season. PHOTO BY BETSEY GOLDWASSER/ DFP FILE PHOTO

The Boston University women’s soccer team fell to West Virginia University Thursday night 4-0.

The Terriers (1-7-1) conceded more than one goal for the first time since an Aug. 30 match against Northeastern University.  

BU head coach Nancy Feldman knows the results haven’t been there, but she is excited with how her team has played with the conference schedule ahead of them.

“Some days are more difficult than others because the opponent is so athletic,” Feldman said. “They put you under so much pressure that you don’t see it pay dividends, but there are times when you look at the game you’re like, ‘Yup, that’s what we got to do under that type of pressure,’ and it sharpens you up.”

The Mountaineers struck (3-2-3) twice in the first half, midway through and late to cap off the team’s dominant beginning 45 minutes.

In the 27th minute, sophomore midfielder Stefany Ferrer-vanGinkel took the lead in goal scoring for West Virginia by scoring her then-second of the season.

The Terriers nearly held the deficit to one as the first half drew to a close, but the Mountaineers doubled the advantage with just over three minutes to play in the first half.

West Virginia freshman Alina Stahl notched the team’s second goal after receiving a pass from senior defender Amanda Saymon and beating BU’s freshman goalkeeper Morgan Messner.  

This was Stahl’s first career goal as a collegiate athlete.

Going into halftime, West Virginia outshot the Terriers 13-0 in the half and forced Messner into three saves.  

The Mountaineers remained dominant coming into the second half and tacked on two more goals early on, in the 54th and 58th minutes.

Senior forward Sh’Nia Gordon scored her first goal of the season on a breakaway in the 54th minute.

Just over three minutes later, BU conceded a penalty and Ferrer-vanGinkel netted her second of the night and third of the season.

West Virginia didn’t stop the pressure in the second half, stuffing the stat sheet with 14 more shots coming back from halftime.

Feldman acknowledged the skill of West Virginia and the entire non-conference slate BU played this season.

“We played a tough bunch of schools and had to defend some great players, especially tonight,” Feldman said. “I do believe it sharpened us up and gets us to be training and playing at the highest level.”

Sophomore goalkeeper Amanda Fay made her sixth appearance of the season to begin the second half and concede two goals while making four saves.

Junior goalkeeper Emma Heil made her first appearance between the sticks this season in the games’ final 12 minutes and made one save.

The Terriers did not register a shot throughout the entire game.

BU finishes its three-game road trip Sunday when the team begins Patriot League play against American University.

Feldman is hoping the high pressure she has her team play at will come to fruition during Patriot League play.

“We are very much looking forward to starting the next chapter in our season,” Feldman said. “We’re excited to impose our will and imprint our style, and make the other team uncomfortable with the way we defend.”