REVIEW: New “Bojack Horseman” season addresses tough topics like addiction, abuse

Season five of Netflix’s adult animated comedy “Bojack Horseman” premiered Friday. PHOTO COURTESY OF NETFLIX

BoJack Horseman is one of the most flawed individuals on television. He’s a jaded, narcissistic alcoholic who destroys relationships with his closest friends for no reason other than self-hatred. He is fundamentally a horrible person.

Now, he’s back for a fifth season of Netflix’s Emmy award-nominated comedy “BoJack Horseman.” The streaming service released the latest installment Friday, and it does not disappoint.

What about this selfish, anthropomorphic horse’s show makes people so inclined to come back season after season? Fantastic characters and enthralling storylines.

Raphael Bob-Waksberg, showrunner and creator, has crafted a comedy more impactful than most high-budget dramas can even fathom. Season five is a continuation of relatable characters, realistic problems and outstanding wit.

The series revolves around the horse of the titular name, who lives in “Hollywoo” with humans and animals alike, struggling to find meaning in his seemingly empty acting career.

“BoJack Horseman” is praised for its sharp political satire and unconventional methods of storytelling. Rather than shy away from hot button topics, “BoJack Horseman” embraces them. It even seeks them out.

Through the animated format, the show’s writers have made a space where nothing is off-limits, which is why “BoJack Horseman” delivered another season of hilarious, tear-jerking, binge-worthy television.

This time we join BoJack (voiced by Will Arnett) on the set of his new drama series “Philbert,” produced by his feline manager Princess Carolyn (voiced by Amy Sedaris). While the characters are living and working on a fictional drama, the show dives deep into issues that are much more real.

Season five is arguably the darkest season of BoJack yet, with heavy content such as divorce, adoption and addiction.

The season starts by taking aim at men in Hollywood. While the show has always openly criticized celebrities and the entertainment industry, season five in particular calls out misogyny and the untouchable reputation of men in power.

We’ve seen storylines similar in “Bojack Horseman” before, such as in season two when Diane Nguyen (voiced by Alison Brie) calls out a Harvey Weinstein-esque Hank Hippopopalous for sexually assaulting multiple women.

Season five, which follows in the wake of the #MeToo movement, sustains that conversation, but makes it more personal by involving BoJack himself.  The plot highlights women with Princess Carolyn’s woeful maternal storyline, calling back to the tragedies of season four.

Season five also shows the audience the ongoing adventures of lovable do-gooder Todd Chavez (voiced by Aaron Paul). Todd is arguably the show’s most well-written character, and currently stands as one of the only asexual characters on television.

Asexuality is grossly underrepresented in the entertainment industry, so what Todd is doing for asexual representation is a great step forward. The show writers at Netflix are keeping up with his new position in society.

Sexuality isn’t the only high-profile topic the show takes on this year, as season five zooms in on BoJack’s ever-present and crippling alcoholism. BoJack drinks heavily and does copious amounts of drugs in an attempt to numb his sadness and justify his poor choices — a fact that lets BoJack lean into the anti-hero role this year.

“BoJack Horseman” is portraying BoJack in all his terribleness this season. He is even more hateable than ever.

There is no sympathy left for him, and that leads to a new conversation about how he needs to alter his destructive lifestyle. This is the first time that we see BoJack acknowledging his bad habits and perhaps even taking steps toward changing.

For every character in the series, each season brings change and development, and that’s what brings in its viewers. When an audience likes a character, they want to see advancement.

Stale characters and stagnant writing are the reasons that shows flop, but “BoJack Horseman” doesn’t have that problem.

Instead, the bar is raised every season, with new and impactful stories making audiences laugh and cry at the same time. The show has found that illusive balance between light and darkness, with this season diving deep into darkness only to show a tiny shred of light.

And for a series about animated humanoid animals, its characters are more real than ever.

That relatability is what keeps people coming back for more. It allows the characters to fail and succeed with the viewer, to connect to the viewer. Which is why, in some ways, it’s OK that BoJack is one of the most flawed characters on television. His flaws give him somewhere to go.

After four years and five seasons, “BoJack Horseman” is still one of the best shows on television.