Return to Nickerson results in 2-1 victory against American for men’s soccer

Senior T.J. Butzke assisted on the first goal of the night, as the Terriers went on to win 2-1 over American University on Saturday. PHOTO BY FELIX PHILLIPS/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The Boston University men’s soccer team claimed its first conference points of the season against American University, putting a cap on a winless streak on the road.

The Terriers (2-4-2, 1-0 Patriot League) saw sophomore forward Austin D’Anna score the game-winner on his second goal of the season.

BU head coach Neil Roberts said that while D’Anna has room to develop, he sees promise in the Hernando, Florida native.

“[D’Anna] is going to be a good striker,” Roberts said. “To be a legitimate striker, which he wants to be and is capable of being, there are things to work on still, but he’s coming in the right direction.”

Through the game, the two teams tested each other, with American (1-4-2, 0-1 Patriot League) having a narrow advantage in shots and corner kicks going into the first half.

BU recorded the first shot of the game in the fifth minute off the boot of junior forward Satchel Cortet.

Twenty-seven seconds later, junior midfielder Mana Chavali fired off a high shot off, an opportunity developed off of a corner from freshman midfielder Kari Petursson.

The Eagles then took control of the field, getting off all six of its shots for the half before the Terriers found another opportunity.

In the minutes leading up to halftime, BU reclaimed the offensive third of the field.

Cortet first forced American goalkeeper Lucas Manso to make his first save of the match in the 41st minute.

Exactly one minute later, a cross from senior midfielder T.J. Butzke allowed Cortet to score his first goal of the season.

Cortet got another corner to the end the half, but the team ended the half 1-0.

For Roberts, he stated he believes there is room for the team to tighten defensively.

“They battled really well, I just think we can be a bit smarter,” Roberts said. “We caused some problems for ourselves, but they [American] put us under a lot of pressure.”

Both teams came out on the attack during the half, at least doubling their shot production from the first half.

American was also awarded six more corners through the second half than the Terriers.

In the first 15 minutes back, there were a combined total of 12 shots.

After Eagle defender Oscar McConnell failed to head a shot on-goal in the 59th minute, the Terriers brought the ball back into the Eagles’ side of the field.

Petursson used his own head to direct the ball into the 18-yard box, where D’Anna toed his second goal in as many games past the American goalkeeper.

BU was not able to hold onto the ball for long, however, when the Eagles were awarded a penalty kick less than two minutes later.

American midfielder Fabio Massaro, the team’s top scorer, put up his fourth goal of the season as senior goalkeeper Mike Bernardi dove in the opposite direction.

It was the only goal Bernardi allowed through the game, making four saves throughout the afternoon.

D’Anna forced another shot on goal in the 89th minute, but the match would end with a final score of 2-1.

Roberts expressed the importance of an in-conference win, but still felt there was more the team could improve on.

“It wasn’t the prettiest, but in conference play, sometimes that doesn’t happen,” Roberts said. “You go into these things to get three points, and that’s what they did.”