Aggressive first period not enough for win in women’s hockey series against Northeastern

Redshirt junior Sammy Davis in a game against Durham West Lightning Sept. 28. Davis scored Boston University’s second goal of the season Saturday afternoon in a 3-3 draw against Northeastern University, second in a weekend series at home. MAISIE MANSFIELD-GREENWALD/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The Boston University women’s hockey opened its 2018-19 season with back-to-back games against crosstown rival Northeastern University.

After a weak offense resulted in a 0-5 loss Friday evening, the Terriers (0-1-1, 0-1-1 Hockey East) fought back early in Saturday’s game for a 3-3 tie.

BU head coach Brian Durocher spoke to the team’s defensive needs after the first game.

“We had some physical errors that didn’t help us play well [on Friday],” Durocher said. “It’s early in the year, and we’ve got to put this behind us … we have to be more determined defensively.”

The five-goal game for Northeastern (1-0-1, 1-0-1 Hockey East) on Friday evening is highlighted by an unassisted, short-handed goal by Husky forward Chloe Aurard, where she scored on the one-on-one against sophomore goaltender Corinne Schroeder.

This was Aurard’s first collegiate goal and put Northeastern up 3-0.

The dagger at the end of the game was a goal from Husky defender Skylar Fontaine that went clean from one side of the ice to the other and added to Northeastern’s lead, putting them up 5-0.

Schroeder and Northeastern goalkeeper Aerin Frankel both ended the match with 28 saves.

The Terriers were able to put up a strong offensive fight in the teams’ second game.

“Our team really competed around the front of [Northeastern’s] net,” Durocher said. “I think that was the significant difference from yesterday.”

Sophomore forward Jesse Compher allowed BU’s offense to break free by shooting a loose puck point blank into the net, putting the team up 1-0.

The team would go on to redeem themselves from yesterday by scoring two more goals in the first period, ending the period with a 3-1 lead.

Despite this difference in the Terriers’ play, Northeastern managed to tie the game to three apiece in the second period.

This was lead by a slapshot missile by Husky center Alina Mueller and another goal two minutes later by Northeastern forward Veronika Pettey.

BU applied even more pressure toward Northeastern in the third period.

During this period, the Terriers were able to put 18 shots while Northeastern was only able to manage six.

Despite onslaught of goals, Northeastern goalie Brittany Bugalski saved all 18 of these shots, forcing the game into overtime.

“We made a good push in the third,” Durocher stated. “We needed the puck to skip in, bounce in or find a little place in the back of the net, but it didn’t quite happen … It was a hard fought game, and I give a lot of credit to Northeastern.”

The five minute overtime showcased both teams being aggressive on each side of the ice, but the game would end without a goal.

BU will next travel to North Andover to play Merrimack College Friday, who is coming off a tie and a win in its own set of games at Pennsylvania State University.

In this week’s practice before the game, Durocher said he wants to prioritize being able to break away from pressure on their net.

“Sixty minutes of competing around our net [should only be allowed for] one game, not the whole season,” Durocher said. “If we come with anything less than 110 percent, we’re not going to be good enough.”