Flick Critique: Sports in films

Sports and movies have always been an essential part of any country’s culture. Sports films have contributed to both fields since their onset, warming audiences’ hearts and usually resulting in laughter, tears or both. Here are the best sports movies ever made.

While soccer is often recognized as the most popular sport played worldwide, there are not as many soccer-themed movies as there are for other sports. Nonetheless, “Bend It Like Beckham” and “Goal! The Dream Begins” are classics.  It is interesting to note that both of these movies are British, as there was not a large soccer fanbase in America up until recently — and ironically — due to soccer legend David Beckham.

While vastly different in their adaptation, both share many similarities. In both films, the protagonist sees soccer as a tool for a better future. The protagonist in “Bend It Like Beckham” uses soccer as a way to rebel against restrictive gender roles. On the other hand, the protagonist from “Goal!” goes against his father’s wishes in order to follow his dreams. Clearly, while these movies are not American-made, they still share a theme many can identify with: having to break the rules in order to forge one’s path. Regardless, these two films can provide any viewer with an appreciation for the sport and determination in pursuing one’s dreams.

Moving away from foreign films and on to perhaps the most American sports of all time — baseball, football and basketball — are eight movies that have captivated their viewers for years. “Angels in the Outfield,” “Field of Dreams” and “Moneyball” have to be the first movies that come to mind when someone mentions baseball. These heartwarming films have shown us everything from the intricacies of the game to a boy finding his family, all showing how America’s favorite pastime can always bring people together.

Football does not fall far behind in having its own share of uplifting films, with “The Blind Side,” “Remember the Titans” and “The Longest Yard.” These movies have all made audiences shed a couple of tears in the midst of watching them, as they all share, similar to the previous baseball movies, how football is not just a sport for some, but also an escape or a chance for a better future.

Basketball movies are pretty split with how directors choose to approach the sport — they can be as lighthearted as “Space Jam” or as emotional as “He Got Game.” The legendary Looney Tunes and Michael Jordan collaboration automatically guaranteed “Space Jam” a spot on this list. Spike Lee’s collaboration with Denzel Washington also secured “He Got Game,” but for its amazing plot and acting. Overall, these staple sports films go beyond the game and show that the reason sports are so beloved is for their emotional impact on audiences.

To finish off this more extensive list are some less popular sports that still deserve recognition — golf, racing and tennis. Although golf may not be the most entertaining sport, “Caddyshack” and “Happy Gilmore” may make audiences rethink their previous impression of golf. These two comedies are renowned and loved, not because of their focus on golf, but for their all-around clever writing, editing and marvelous acting. Next, two movies that have managed to bring some attention to the world of racing have to be “Rush,” a biopic on the Niki Lauda-James Hunt rivalry, and the hilarious “Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby.” While these greatly differ in their genres, audiences that were perhaps less knowledgeable about the world of racing can become more acquainted with the fascinating sport with these two wonderful films.

Overall, what makes sports movies so enjoyable is not just their focus on the sport, but the message they convey. These films show that often, a sport is not played just for the sake of playing it, but for its promise of a better future.

My name is Victoria Lara and I am a sophomore Biomedical Engineering student on the Pre-Medical track. I love watching films and I am passionate about social change. Follow me on Twitter @victoriaa_lara.