7th Inning Stretch: A perfect ending to an unforgettable season

Left to right: outfielder J.D. Martinez, shortstop Xander Bogaerts and first baseman Mitch Moreland during a game against the Baltimore Orioles Aug. 10. The 2018 Boston Red Sox team are considered by many to be among the best baseball teams of the millenium. COURTESY OF KETIH ALISON/ FLICKR
  1. 2007. 2013. 2018.

For the fourth time in my lifetime, the Boston Red Sox are World Champions. They defeated the Los Angeles Dodgers 5-1 Sunday night in L.A. to capture the franchise’s ninth title. They won their first five in a span of 15 years from 1903 through 1918, and after a brief 86-year hiatus, have now won their fourth in 14 years.

Pretty streaky, huh?

In reality, of all the ways one could describe the 2018 Red Sox, streaky would perhaps be among the least accurate. From February through October, the Sox went a combined 141-66: 22-9-1 in Spring Training, 108-54 in the regular season and 11-3 in the postseason. All three records were tops in baseball. This team was the best from start to finish.

Growing up in the suburbs of Boston, each of these four championship teams has had different meanings to me. 2004 was an incredible, curse-breaking team that first cultivated my love for baseball. 2007 was a dominant team with some of my all-time favorites like Kevin Youkilis and Mike Lowell, that cemented my lifelong passion for the sport. 2013 was a magical, emotional season that brought together the city of Boston in ways I will never forget. And 2018?  2018 was the most talented, lovable group of athletes I’ve ever seen, and they produced one of the most impressive seasons in the history of the sport, all happening in my backyard.

Sports is a phenomenon particularly fixated on the idea of legacy: How will you be remembered? The 2018 Boston Red Sox have quite the litany of legacies. I couldn’t possibly address each of the characters and moments throughout the past nine months that will be remembered for years to come, but I can pick a few of my personal favorites.

Any tribute to the 2018 World Champions must begin at the top with first-year manager Alex Cora. From the moment Cora first donned his jersey at his introductory press conference last fall, the entire franchise was transformed. Cora brought a trusting, inspiring leadership to the Sox that I have not seen from a manager before. Through skilled communication, an emphasis on commitment and camaraderie, and a unique managerial style, Cora forged bonds with each of his players from the very beginning. Without such strong trust, Cora’s bold coaching decisions during the playoffs would have fallen flat. Calling on starting pitchers to enter games in intense, do-or-die relief situations, just days before their next starts, only succeeded because Cora’s pitchers bought into their leader. And boy, did it work. Cora seemed incapable of making mistakes throughout the postseason, and 2018 will forever be remembered for Cora’s calm, elite leadership. A positive atmosphere was fostered from Spring Training onward, and without their confident, personable manager with the photo collage on his office wall, the Red Sox do not win the World Series.

Next, David Price. Or, I should say, John Lackey 2.0. After a rocky beginning to his career in Boston, and the haunting past of horrific playoff performances, Price finally and permanently won over the hearts of every Boston fan. After another dud of a start in the Division Series against the Yankees and a mediocre start in Game 2 of the American League Championship Series against the Houston Astros, Price seemed to undergo a complete metamorphosis. With ace Chris Sale still not fully right, Cora turned to Price on three-days rest for the possible clincher, Game 5 in Houston. Price didn’t disappoint. He threw six shutout innings, giving up only three hits with nine strikeouts. The Sox were going to the World Series, and it was because of Price, not in spite of him.

From there, the narrative only continued to change. In Game 2 of the World Series, Price churned out another six-inning, five-strikeout beauty, helping the Sox take a 2-0 lead in the series. In the wild, 18-inning, seven-hour Game 3, Price entered the game in the ninth inning and provided crucial relief. Finally, in the clinching Game 5, Price again started on short rest and threw seven innings of one-run, five-strikeout baseball to help the Sox win the World Series. After the game, Price openly wept during the press conference. He arguably should’ve won the World Series MVP, but nevertheless, his 2018 postseason performance changed his relationship with Boston. He has an opt-out clause in his contract that would allow him to leave the team this winter. Don’t count on it. He’s a new fan favorite, and he’s here to stay.

Finally, this team had a string of unlikely heroes who, in the course of just a few games, would change Boston sports forever. Most Sox fans had probably never heard the name Steve Pearce before this season. Or Nathan Eovaldi. And Eduardo Núñez was just a backup infielder who was a leftover from 2017. But I think it’s safe to say these three will never be forgotten.

In just 16 plate appearances in the World Series, Pearce, the series MVP, crushed three home runs with eight runs batted in, four walks and no strikeouts. He contributed clutch hitting in Boston’s come-from-behind win in Game 4, and he homered twice to shut the door in Game 5. Núñez demolished a three-run, pinch-hit home run in Game 1, and more impressively, played all 18 innings in Game 3 despite numerous injuries that would’ve taken a less devoted player out of the game.

And finally, Eovaldi. Wow. In addition to stellar pitching and relief in the ALDS and ALCS, Eovaldi put his team before himself in ways I have never seen on a sports field, pitching six innings of relief in Game 3, from the 12th through 18th inning. Despite having pitched in both Games 1 and 2, and being the planned Game 4 starter, Eovaldi bailed out his team and his manager. He hurled 97 courageous pitches deep into the night, striking out five and allowing only a solo homer that ended the game. Though he got the loss, Eovaldi’s performance was the most bold performance I have ever seen. He even made Rick Porcello cry.

So there you have it. The 2018 Boston Red Sox were a gutsy, confident, lovable group. From start to finish and from top to bottom, they kept winning and dominating, even when they shouldn’t have. Rather than be demoralized by an 18-inning loss, the Sox ended their 141-win year with Christian Vazquez leaping into Sale’s arms, and Sox villain Manny Machado slowly walking off the field after falling to his knee on the final strikeout. This was a fairytale team with a fairytale ending.

So as the Duck Boats roll down Boylston Street Wednesday, cherish what we just witnessed. We may never see a team like this again.