Allston building collapse injures 2

First responders assess the damage of a roof collapse at 85 Harvard Ave. Sunday evening. RACHEL SHARPLES/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The facade of the Common Ground Bar and Grill, located at 85 Harvard Ave. in Allston, collapsed onto the sidewalk shortly before 3:00 p.m. Sunday, injuring two people.

Deputy Chief of the Boston Fire Department Stephen McNeil said one female was injured and taken in an ambulance shortly after the incident, along with a male companion. The woman sustained significant injuries but is stable.

McNeil said the incident was due to a collapse of the parapet of the building.

“There is danger of a secondary collapse that can happen after the collapse,” he said. “So, that is why the engineer is coming in here, lighting it up, doing the assessment, having rotating companies stand by until all of this is completed. It’s going to be kind of a long process.”

Allston resident and Boston University student Ben Swimmer, 22, said he came to see the scene after hearing of the collapse.

“It sounded like thunder,” Swimmer said. “I think it’s because it’s an old building. It’s crazy.”

Allston resident Jonathan Aguirre said he lives down the street from Common Ground. He said he called the police after feeling the collapse shake the ground, and he then came outside to livestream the incident on Facebook.

“The woman was looking at the menu of the restaurant, and, from one instant to another instant, the roof fell down on her,” Aguirre said. “The crew got her out of there, and they did everything to revive her because she was unresponsive.”

McNeil said the area will be closed off until further notice.

CORRECTION: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated when the collapse occurred. An updated version of this article reflects this correction.