Landmark designation for Citgo sign pends mayor’s approval

The Boston Landmarks Commission voted unanimously Tuesday night to designate the Citgo sign in Kenmore Square as a Boston Landmark. COLE SCHONEMAN/ DFP FILE PHOTO

The Boston Landmarks Commission voted to designate the Citgo sign in Kenmore Square as a landmark Tuesday night, meaning the sign would be protected from being moved or destroyed by developers.

Now that the commision has made its decision, Mayor Martin Walsh will have 15 days to consider the distinction and vote on the manner before it is sent to the City Council.

Local real estate company Related Beal is currently planning to rebuild property in Kenmore Square. Patrick Sweeney, managing director for Related Beal, said in a statement that the company has no intention of taking down the sign and will integrate it into their new developments.

The company plans to use the redevelopment to revitalize Kenmore Square, Sweeney said.

We remain focused on bringing our vision for the redevelopment to life, welcoming new office tenants and employees, introducing exciting retail options and adding to the legacy of Kenmore Square,” Sweeney said.

Walsh’s press office said the mayor will review the proposed designation.

According to the Boston Landmark Commission’s report on the Citgo sign, the sign was built in 1965 and has become a key element of Boston’s skyline. This is the second petition to designate the sign as a Boston landmark, with the first movement being in the 1980s.

The Boston Landmark Commission rejected the landmark proposal in 1983, as they did not want to force the owners of the sign into keep the sign running, the report stated. The sign has become a symbol for the city of Boston as Kenmore is a central location in the city and also due to its association with the Boston Marathon and Fenway Park.

Alex Noonan, 35, of Brighton, said the Citgo sign is a part of Boston’s skyline.

“It’s an inseparable part of this area,” Noonan said.

Northeastern University student Emily Johnson, 19, said she thinks the sign has become the city’s most iconic symbol and that she  is glad that the sign could stay a part of the city skyline in the future.

“It’s kind of like the symbol for Boston,” Johnson said. “So I think it’s kind of cool that it’s never going to be taken away now.”

Samantha Day and Sophie Falkenheim contributed to the reporting of this story.