BU students reminded to remain respectful on Super Bowl Sunday

New England Patriots cheerleaders at a celebration in 2015. Boston Police Commissioner William Gross sent out a letter to college students in the city with expectations for their behavior during Super Bowl festivities this coming Sunday. PHOTO BY ALEXANDRA WIMLEY/ DFP FILE

Boston Police Commissioner William Gross issued a letter to students of local colleges and universities explaining the expectations for activities during Super Bowl LIII this Sunday.

The letter stated that students who engage in disruptive activities will be reported to their respective Dean of Students. Gross emphasized that while the city is enthusiastic about its sports teams, students celebrating have to remain respectful.

“Boston and its surrounding communities are fortunate to have exceptional athletic teams and the most loyal and enthusiastic fans,” Gross wrote. “It is our hope that you enjoy the festivities and celebrate in a safe and responsible manner.”

Boston University Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore, and Chief of BU Police and Executive Director of Public Safety Kelly Nee, wrote in a joint email that the university will be working with other organizations in the city to make sure students and fans will be safe.

Elmore and Nee reminded students in the email that Kenmore Square will be closed on Sunday night and that students should avoid the area.

BU spokesperson Colin Riley said Boston Police issued the warning to remind students that their actions have consequences both on campus and in the city.

“They’re doing it to remind people that there are consequences for bad actions, but our students hear that as soon as they step on campus at orientation,” Riley said. “But we always say it in the positive, that we always expect students to comport themselves in a way that brings favor to themselves, to their friends, their family and their school, and we expect that to continue.”

Riley said that BU students should know that they need to celebrate in a respectful way.

“We don’t anticipate any issues from Boston University Students,” Riley said. “We expect that not only the individual students will comport themselves properly, but the people who are in the group will make sure that occurs, as well.”

The Office of Media Relations for the Boston Police Department wrote in an email that they were not able to comment on the matter, but Mayor Martin Walsh is scheduled to have a press conference about safety for Sunday.

Connor Uzzo, a junior in the College of Engineering, said he thought the request from Gross was reasonable.

“It’s for safety,” he said. “I guess as a student you don’t want to get in trouble. You’re just supposed to stay within your own reasons.”

Hannah Jacobs, a senior in the Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, said she plans to watch the game in Allston and understands the measures taken to ensure students act appropriately over the weekend.

“If it fits with school policy, like how if you get caught for underage drinking you get reported, then I guess that makes sense,” Jacobs said.

Alex LaSalvia contributed reporting.