CAS professor Jacqueline Liederman dies at 68

Boston University professor Jacqueline Liederman, who taught at BU for 40 years, died on Jan. 14 at the age of 68. During her long career at BU, she became known for her intense kindness and intellect.

Liederman was a professor in the Department of Psychological and Brain Studies in the College of Arts and Sciences and the director of the Cognitive Neurophysiology Lab. She first arrived to the BU psychology department in 1978 and eventually became a full professor, inspiring and befriending many students and faculty along the way.

Alice Cronin-Golomb, a fellow professor in the PBS department, wrote in an email that Liederman was an inspiration “in so many ways.”

“Jackie battled parkinsonism for such a long time, and she never gave up,” wrote Cronin-Golomb. “She was an intellectual force, a dedicated teacher, and mentor to many, many students.”

Cronin-Golomb wrote that Liederman was “the best colleague you could ask for.”

“Her spirit will live through her students and through us,” Cronin-Golomb wrote. “Her absence leaves a hole in our department.”

Deborah Belle, professor emerita in the PBS department, remembers Liederman fondly and said Liederman was adored by her colleagues and students.

“I think I remember her laugh more than anything,” Belle said. “She had just such tremendous joy in life and an appreciation of other people and [was] such an intellectually curious person.”

Belle said that while many people are “siloed” in their own disciplines, Liederman never limited herself to her own area of study.

Liederman’s desire not to limit herself to her own discipline also applied to her friendships, Belle said.

“Our research interests were far enough apart, I certainly would have no expertise in her area,” Belle said. “But we had a friendship, as I think many people within the department did.”

Amanda Tarullo, a professor in the PBS department and the director of the Brain and Early Experiences Laboratory, wrote that Liederman was dedicated to her students and kept up with them long after they finished her class.

“Jackie was a true intellectual, animated and energized by new ideas and new research,” Tarullo wrote. “She found science thrilling, and inspired so many students.”

Tarullo also wrote that Liederman was extremely kind.

“I am so grateful to have had the chance to collaborate with her and learn from her,” she wrote. “She kept track of students for decades, spoke of past students with love and pride, and continued to be a guiding force for them.”

Leslie Brody, a PBS professor and director of the Emotion, Gender, Culture and Health Laboratory, wrote that she and Liederman shared both personal and professional milestones.

“She and I joined the BU faculty in the same year and essentially grew up together here,” wrote Brody. “She cared deeply about her students, our dept., and BU.  I will miss her.”

Erica Appleman, a 2018 graduate of BU and former student of Liederman’s, wrote that Liederman had great impact on her career.

“Jackie was my first research mentor and I wouldn’t be where I am today without having had that experience,” Appleman wrote. “I am still grateful for that opportunity and hope that I can pay some of her impact forward.”

Pallavi Joshi, a 2010 BU graduate, also had Liederman as a professor and wrote that she will always be grateful for their time spent working together.

“Jackie had a profound influence on my life and my career,” she wrote. “She taught me so much, and loved her students deeply.”

Megan Muzilla, a sophomore in CAS, said she thinks the kind of neurodevelopmental disorder research Liederman did is providing vital knowledge.

“I definitely think it’s extremely important because it’s something that goes undiscussed in popular culture,” Muzilla said.”It affects a lot more lives than one might assume.”