Boston Uncommon: The T needs more help to better serve Boston

The MBTA announced a 5.8 percent fare hike last week after months of public dissent and objection from Beacon Hill. The development follows a similar increase in 2016 and risks frustrating passengers to the point where they take other modes of transportation.

MBTA board members felt as though their hands were tied, pointing fingers at state legislators for not addressing the deficit themselves. The T has been underfunded for years, and, as such, a fare increase may appear necessary in order for the agency to conduct its most basic functions.

Boston is a terrible city to get around in if you’re anywhere but on your feet. The T and the city’s transportation infrastructure as a whole are underfunded by billions of dollars, and the city’s rush-hour commute is reportedly the worst in the country.

Any frequent rider of the T knows it is unreliable, and the MBTA has made strides toward solutions by outlining a plan to fully repair the system by 2032. But one aspect of the proposal that remains a mystery is the funding.

Many of the vehicles on the road are rideshare services such as Uber and Lyft. Officials have proposed an increased fee on these companies to help fund public transportation, but it seems the legislature is not in any rush to increase funding to the T.

Delays and fares are not the only things that have put the MBTA in headlines in recent years. In 2018, the MBTA workers’ pension fund took another hit, declining as it has been for years.

Workers’ pensions are critical for the MBTA and are a high priority for its budget. However, there is a significant gap between the amount of workers collecting their pensions and workers who are contributing to the pension fund.

Deficits in funding have been ballooning for years, with fare increases as one of the only possible cushions from even more setbacks. The most recent increase would cover about a third of the pension gap, let alone the construction and resources needed to improve efficiency.

Public transit is a growing problem in Boston, but not always a critical issue in city elections.

In other cities, poorly funded public transportation is a divisive concern in elections, and many candidates use it as fuel to gain votes. For example, in the recent governor’s race in New York, funding and development of the New York City subway was one of the largest debates among candidates.

Boston should look to its politicians for more than the encouragement of policies and seek government action to remedy the expanding cracks in its transportation system.

Victoria is studying Economics and International Relations in the College of Arts and Sciences in the Class of 2022. Aside from The Daily Free Press, they're involved in WTBU Radio and Greek life on campus and are a Dean’s Ambassador in the Frederick S. Pardee School of Global Studies. When Victoria's not writing or editing, they're listening to podcasts and trying new coffee. Find them on twitter at @victoriagbond