Wake Me Up Boston: Who was Nipsey Hussle?

It was a tough week for fans of Nipsey Hussle, the legendary yet understated Los Angeles rapper known for his brutal honesty and powerful storytelling.

I must admit, I knew little of Hussle when I read the news of his murder, but the gut-wrenching reactions from famous figures and everyday people across the country led me to believe this guy must be something special and worth looking into to uncover all the hype.

Look into him I did, and I discovered a truly gifted soul who turned to philanthropy after his career took off. Having struggled with an intense history of gang violence in LA, Hussle became dedicated to sharing his story through his various mixtapes, singles, compilations and albums, letting the rawness of his past resonate in his lyrics.

The pain and hopelessness is seen in lines, such as, “The sun is shining and still it’s raining / and you ain’t gotta ask where he from, just spray him,” and, “One down, two to go, suspect usual / murder scene, the routine ain’t new to you” from his 2008 “Bullets Ain’t Got No Name” mixtapes.

The rapper has partnered with big-name artists such as Drake, Snoop Dogg and Rick Ross, along with many others, and sold 1,000 copies of his mixtape “Crenshaw” for $100 a piece in less than 24 hours.

Jay-Z was reported to have purchased 100 copies of his own in support of Hussle’s movement, which was to distribute his mixtapes for free on a digital basis while marking the physical copies at $100.

The “Crenshaw” mixtape honored the close-knit black community in which Hussle grew up, known as the Crenshaw District in southern LA.

He explained to Rap Radar, “The reason I chose to charge $100 dollars each copy and only start with 1000 units is because I tailor making my music for those who are listening … it’s not about stepping outside of what I’m known for in hopes of new discovery. What that means less is fans that are better served.”

The loss of Nip Hussle is rooted in a story of utter devastation, a story that has unfortunately been told for decades without major groundbreaking change. Hussle was a strong voice for those who struggle to be heard, even coming as far as being nominated for a Grammy.

He represented a flicker of real hope for the black community in south LA and others who find themselves entangled in gang violence with no way to escape.

Hussle promised change, which he was already well on the way of enacting. As an artist and entrepreneur, Hussle invested his wealth to build up his entire block with legal venues, giving back to the community by providing job opportunities and helping to end the violent cycle of crime.

The block was host to resources and guidance for young professionals, as well as a barber shop and fish market. This block that Nip created helped promote the livelihood of black businesses and set the example that once again, there still is hope.

Nipsey Hussle — also known as Ermias Asghedom, a fighter, a leader, an influencer, a change-maker — was murdered by multiple gunshots outside of his own store this past Sunday.

His legacy of refusing to accept the cards life dealt him will forever be remembered and carried on in future revolutionaries who will pick up where he left off. His memory and footprint is stronger than his absence.

Coffee is my lifeline, every morning, afternoon and night—and occasionally in between. Find me café hopping with my nose buried in a book and a cappuccino by my side for good company. I’ll never pass up a chance to explore this adventure-packed city and its unique, bustling yet mellow culture.