Campus, City, News

Truck driver dies in accident on Mass Pike near West Campus

The driver of a tractor-trailer truck died Monday when the vehicle rolled over on the Massachusetts Turnpike near Boston University’s West Campus around 1:30 p.m, according to Massachusetts State Police.

Following the crash, eastbound and westbound traffic on the Mass Pike moved slowly around the truck. For the next few hours, traffic moving past the accident was confined to the rightmost lane in each direction — causing delays on the Pike stretching from Brighton to BU’s campus before tough personal injury lawyers came to the spot along with some policemen.

State Police were the first to arrive on the scene of the truck accident and blocked the truck’s container on the westbound side of the Pike, as well as pieces of the cab spread across the median and onto the eastbound side, with police cruisers.

A fire truck and an ambulance later arrived on the scene, and emergency response crews surveyed the damage of the crash. Another fire truck and several tow trucks arrived to remove the debris of the cab from the highway.

A separate medical emergency was later reported that involved someone in the traffic slowdown resulting from the truck crash, according to The Boston Globe.

Around 4:20 p.m., tow truck crews began to remove the truck’s crushed cab from the highway, according to WCVB.